Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am electrical problems with my 2000 Suzuki Marauder VZ800 bike and I hoping someone here could help… =/

Here’s the deal: If I start the bike more then twice a day the battery will drain and stop working. If I let the bike sit with out starting for two days, the bike will not start. Plus, my left blinker light is always on…

The first thing you will think of is that the battery is bad. Well, I replaced it last Spring with a brand new one. At first is worked fine – but even last Summer I had problems starting the bike several times a day. This Spring it is getting worse…

Here is what happens: I started the bike, drive it to a restaurant – eat lunch, started it back up and go half a mile to a gas station. After sitting for about 15 minutes waiting on some friends, I try to start the bike back up only to find the battery is dead and I have to jump it.

The crazy part is that the bike runs great once started… I looked at all the wires and they look good to me. No obvious shorts or bear wires. Anyone have a clue?

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
have you checked if the battery is even being charged yet? if not, that would be a start.

I would ssuggest you pick up a shop manual and do a little trouble shooting. good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah - I did that. Even with a fully charged battery the bike will only start a few times before it drains the battery.

I'm thinking there is a short somewhere... I don't know. I was kinda hoping someone else had a similar problem which might point me in the right direction.. As is, I'm thinking about putting it in the shop (which will drain the bank).. =/

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Plus, my left blinker light is always on…
:fight1: Did you check it for the correct bulb and installation? Seems pretty obvious that you should start here.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
yeah - I did that. Even with a fully charged battery the bike will only start a few times before it drains the battery./
OK, here's the deal. It is likely that your charging system is not working right OR you have a drain with the key off. Either way, you probably stored it over the winter with a nearly dead battery and prolonged inactivity and cold weather almost killed it completely.

From the general drift of your posts, it probably would be a good idea to take it to the "doctor". Don't be surprised if a new battery is included in the "fix".

·
Registered
285 Posts
If the light is staying on, something is groundind out. Check the turn signal to see if that may be it. Also, if your bike has the position for "accessory" check the wires there. Simple test if possible is to take the bulb out, charge the battery, and see if all goes well. If it does, your turn signal or the wire going to it is grounding out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem....had not started my bike for a while....just would not go! Check out picture! Sorry....could not resist :mrgreen: :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. :)

I think the problem may be a bad alternator which corrupted my battery... As for the turn signal - that may be a wrong bulb...I'm not sure as I was unable to get it out last night.. =/

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ardell,

I have been havingthe same problem with my bike. the only differance was the my turn signal is not on. Have you found the fix for the problem? If so, what was it? I am stumped. i have checked all the wires in the starting system for shorts and still have come up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unless I did not read something correctly I am assuming that you are talking about your rear blinker. The front blinkers have three wires running to it, on, blink, and the ground. The rear blinkers just have two, on, and ground. I know that sometimes when I lock my forks that if I turn the key a little too much to the lock my rear lights stay on. I have never had a drained battery from it, but I have locked the bike, gone inside, and come back outside thirty minutes later to see them still on. All I do is put the key in, turn in a tick, and they come off. I dont know if anyone else has this problem though.
But since yours alwasys stays on, I would think it is a wiring problem. I have an awesome electrical test kit. Its a cheap LED light with power and ground, and when I want to test wires I just touch the wires. It works great. You could try cutting the wires to the rear blinker and see what is going on with it. But the problems with that could range from your actual turn signal housing or just random wires. If you got a new battery, it should be charging and the draw from one blinker shold not be enough to drain it in such a short time. I would follow the others advice and see what kind of charge is getting back to the battery.
Maybe your battery can maintain a charge, but it is just not able to give a big enough starting charge more than a couple times a day. Then again, pretty much everyone else knows more about these bikes then I. Good luck with it though.
MS

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the battery is draining in the span of one day I don't think the blinker draws enough current to do that, unless it's indicative of another problem. My guess would be your charging system isn't charging the battery, that mixed with what Easy Rider said about storing a nearly dead battery could lead to the problem you're seeing. Though the blinker problem would need to be fixed. Electrical troubleshooting can be some of the most frustrating stuff too, so good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my blinker doesnot stay on. it work just fine. the problem i am having is that a new, fully charged battery is not putting out enough power to start the engine. the starter turn the motor over a couple times and then i just hear a clicking sound.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i would check the clutch safety switch a common problem with bike. here is another good site for info on the marauder. i have learned alot from it.
http://www.spacerjim.com/faqs.htm

also from the migcruisers site. he has lots of info

i would also think about taking the battery to you local auto parts dealer they can put a load test on the battery to see if it has dropped a cell and wont hold or take a full charge no matter how good the charging system is.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
the problem i am having is that a new, fully charged battery is not putting out enough power to start the engine. the starter turn the motor over a couple times and then i just hear a clicking sound.
The fact that it is NEW does not necessarily mean that it is GOOD.

Either remove the battery, charge it and take it to a battery shop for a load test.....
OR
If you can do it safely (enough clearance on the + terminal so as to not hit the frame), then try a jump from a car or truck that is NOT running.

If it starts with a jump, then likely that your new battery is bad.

If it does the same thing with a jump, then likely that your starter motor is bad OR the engine is partially seized.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you know how to use a meter you should start with putting meter on amps and put it on the battery and see what current draw you have and then start disconnecting the rear lighting harness while watching the meter. Keep doing this to the front harness as well until you see a drop in the current reading and go from there. This will get you closer to the problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
If you know how to use a meter you should start with putting meter on amps and put it on the battery and see what current draw you have and then start disconnecting the rear lighting harness while watching the meter. Keep doing this to the front harness as well until you see a drop in the current reading and go from there. This will get you closer to the problem.
Mmmmm....uuuuu......WHAT ??? :confused::huh::confused:

I think you assumed facts not in evidence !! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
This will work if you know HOW to use a meter to see if there is a current draw.
There are TWO people in this thread with similar problems. Similar but not the same. Your advise applies well to one but not the other. Since your original post didn't have a quote, it's hard to tell which person you were advising. :bluethum:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts