Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my bike shutting down at high speeds. Its happened 3 times so far: twice riding 2 up going approx 80mph and once riding solo going approx 95mph.
It usually happens when I'm accelerating and it is just like the kill switch was flipped. The engine stops but all the lights stay on. I pull the clutch in and try to start it while coasting, but nothing happens. Once I pull over and stop the bike starts right up.
Anyone had this happen to them before? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any replies

·
Super Moderator
12,787 Posts
I've been having problems with my bike shutting down at high speeds. Its happened 3 times so far: twice riding 2 up going approx 80mph and once riding solo going approx 95mph.
Maybe your Guardian Angel is trying to TELL you something !! :roll:

Sounds like restricted fuel flow; fuel filter dirty or tank venting problem. Also could be fuel pump, if you have one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL I dont normally ride that fast. The 2 times I was riding with my girlfriend I was passing a truck and the 1 time by myself I was trying to keep up with my buddy on his GSXR.

If it was a restricted fuel flow issue wouldn't it happen at a certain RPM and not speed? Plus wouldnt the bike try to turn over when I'm pressing the start button while coasting?

·
Super Moderator
12,787 Posts
If it was a restricted fuel flow issue wouldn't it happen at a certain RPM and not speed?
Only if you HOLD a high RPM for a LONG time. Throttle position is probably more important than actual RPM.

Plus wouldnt the bike try to turn over when I'm pressing the start button while coasting?
Uuuuu.....did I mis-read the original post; let's look.........

"try to start it while coasting, but nothing happens. "

If that means that the engine is not turning over, then you probably have an electrical problem (like kill switch or kickstand switch) and the speed is just a coincidence (or max. vibration).

I had assumed you meant "turns over but won't fire" which would point to the aforementioned fuel problem.

8)

Come to think of it, if the engine quits at 30+ mph, trying to use the starter while still moving is wasted effort.......'cause your forward motion already was turning the engine over faster than the starter would !! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Come to think of it, if the engine quits at 30+ mph, trying to use the starter while still moving is wasted effort.......'cause your forward motion already was turning the engine over faster than the starter would !! :mrgreen:
My thoughts also. I agree that it's probably a fuel problem. If it happens again, just leave it in gear and coast down. If fuel comes back, it'll start up again. If you're not cranking the throttle it'll be a gentle and easily manageable start.

I'd start with ER's suggestions.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm thinking it is an electrical issue b/c of the engine not turning over while coasting and the engine doesn't bog b4 it dies.... I noticed my kickstand has been hanging lower than usual lately (I guess the spring is wearing out). I'll mess with that 1st and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Oh! Yeah, that's likely it. Obviously when you said it wasn't turning over, you were speaking accurately. I think both ER and I assumed you were making the common mistake of confusing "firing" with turning over. I think you've solved the mystery.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was the kickstand coming down. It died on me at about 80 so I pulled over; put it in nuetral and she fired right up; shifted into first and it died; looked at stand and it was about 1/3 of way down; kicked it back up and rode her home..... I ordered 2 new kickstand springs today so hopefully that will do the trick

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL I dont normally ride that fast. The 2 times I was riding with my girlfriend I was passing a truck and the 1 time by myself I was trying to keep up with my buddy on his GSXR.

If it was a restricted fuel flow issue wouldn't it happen at a certain RPM and not speed? Plus wouldnt the bike try to turn over when I'm pressing the start button while coasting?
That's funny. All my friends with Gixxers are usually trying to keep up with me! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts