Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hitting a nasty bump on the road a month ago, which stalled my bike immediately, the engine will occasionally go from providing normal amounts of power to about 25% of that power, and it will stay in that low power state for a seemingly random amount of time, could be 30 seconds could be 10 minutes. The engine will make a deeper noise when it knocks into that state, and it will have to rev to 4-5k RPM to get moving to 10 mph, normally something it could do with 1-2k rpm. Basically making it slow as hell and unridable when it gets like this. It used to happen once a week, then once a day, now the bike cannot even get down the street without running into this low power state. It consistently happens when stopped at a light or going down a steep hill.

I know the problem was caused by the bump but I don't know what it did. I replaced the spark plugs, recently cleaned out the air filter, exhaust is coming from both pipes when it's like this so both cylinders should be firing. My bike is carbureted and google searches are leading me to believe there might be a problem there, but I have never pulled carbs before and am not sure what mess I'd be getting into. A couple days ago I sat on my bike to try to figure this out and the headlight and taillight wouldn't turn on, so there is probably a wiring issue somewhere. Could that be related to this low power problem?

Looking for guidance on what part / area of the bike I should be troubleshooting to narrow it down. Does it sound like a carb problem? Electrical? What can I do to eliminate some potential causes?

thanks
1980 gs250t

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Welcome.
The problems with the lights might be an important clue.
First, check the connections at the battery and get the battery tested.
Having a multi-meter might help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, you might be right because after looking at it again today the Neutral light is going off and on as the bike is moved. That has never happened before, so something is definitely messed up with that. I do have a multimeter so I can check that soon

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
There may be two problems.
Your comment about having to rev the engine to a high speed just to get going sounds like a slipping clutch.
Electrical problems and a slipping clutch usually are not related to each other.

·
Registered
39 Posts
your neutral light going on and off is result of three possible issues: 1. the neutral switch is being moved to ground and then off ( being activated). 2. a bad connection between Neutral indicator and switch including the ground. 3. The indicator light itself is going bad ( unlikely if LED). As for your running condition, sounds like a cylinder ingnition drop out which could also be the result of a bad ground and not necessarily at the battery or frame eng heavy ground. Also check for a loose connection and fuzes at the fuze box since all these systems get power (pos +) from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep VFR you were correct - took off the tank and indeed there was a loose connection - one of my ignition coils had wiggled loose and was completely unplugged. Plugged it back in and the bike has been good ever since. The neutral / headlight is probably going to take a similar fix. But at least it runs great now. Thanks for the help on this one guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts