Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't want to turn this into an oil thread, but many times owners have reported knock, and it was resolved with a change of oil or riding behavior. The hydraulic valves can lose prime. Rotella 5-40 synthetic seems to help some, for others, going out and riding hard with higher revs seems to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2012 Suzuki boulevard m50 with just shy of 12000 km on it that I bought recently 2nd hand. I took it to a mechanic for a general look over it and he told me that he could hear a knocking noise in the engine under load. I asked if he thought it was the valves and he seemed to think it may be the crank.

Has anyone had any issues like this? They weren’t a Suzuki service mechanic so they didn’t have the tools to take apart the engine. I have service booked with the Suzuki dealer for two weeks time but it’s a long time to wait if it’s something that I shouldn’t be worried about and / or don’t need to pay through the teeth for it to be inspected.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
No an inspection by a mechanic experienced with that engine should be WELL worth your money.
Better to be safe than sorry.

If it IS a main bearing or similar, it might not be worth fixing.
Or it might run for several years. It's a crap shoot.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts