Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived with this ticking noise for about two years now. A year and a half ago I let one of my local stealerships work on it assuming it was a valve issue. Valves within specs. they tell me and blame the noise on a possible loose heat shield. Long story short... Picked up my bike from another shop today... again, not the valves, but they want 3.5 hours labor to tear down the engine, 3.5 hours to put it back together, and there is still a HUGE question mark regarding what the issue could be!! I have an '06 with 26000 miles and my bike sounds like a dang industrial sewing machine. Any suggestions or maybe an unemployed metric mechanic in the Seattle area?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Mileage puts it in line with other reports I've heard regarding cam chain tensioners having issues. Unfortuneately it sounds like the issue regardless of what it is will likely soon need to be addressed. I would expect a teardown the only path to take at this time...though good time for fresh rings.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Mine had a noise coming from the engine-sounded like valves but were within specs-took to 2 differant deals and both said it was the camchains-either chains worn or tensioner slightly worn. Either way they said it wasnt worth tearing down yet, they said if it didnt get any worse to not worry about it.

But I have not heard your engine so i cant say for sure

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sorry, re-read my post...made it sound like danger was iminent...not my intention. I only wanted to indicate that this type of noise was often associated with that type of problem in your milage range, she could live a long long time continuing to make that noise.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Mine had a noise coming from the engine-sounded like valves but were within specs-took to 2 differant deals and both said it was the camchains-either chains worn or tensioner slightly worn. Either way they said it wasnt worth tearing down yet, they said if it didnt get any worse to not worry about it.

But I have not heard your engine so i cant say for sure
Mine sounds like a popcorn maker as well. Everything appears on the up and up and it still runs strong. I see no need to tear mine apart yet either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, everyone. I have decided to let a friend-of-a-friend who wrenches in his garage take a look and listen. I will only be out the cost of a few beers unless he thinks there is something more serious. My biggest thing is the sound I hear could only be metal on metal. I just picture something inside there wearing very thin. I keep a VERY strong magnet on my oil drain plug and have yet to see even a tiny speck of metal when I change my oil. Wish I had the guts to tear into it myself.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's only nuts and bolts, albeit a complicated set of nuts and bolts, but there really isn't much to it. As long as you have the build manual and can stay organized (that is key, bag and tag everything), it's really straight forward stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the friend-of-a-friend turned out to be too busy to help. My bike is currently at the only shop in my area that seemed to know more about my bike than I do. (Everett Powersports) currently has the motor out and cam-chain tensioners, cam chains, and new rings on order. All together, I am looking at about $2100 with parts and labor. It hurts to be out that money, but I will have a 'fresh' motor in my '06 bike.

·
Registered
526 Posts
wow 2100 is a LOT, but you must have a great love for the bike!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about letting it die, but the previous owner dropped some serious cash on a bunch of extras. Heated Corbin seat, new grips, front and rear floorboards, windshield, highway bars, sissy bar, rear rack, and leather-lyke bags. I have made simple mods like swapping to the C50 handle bar and adding a K n N filter to the original element mount (before they offered a direct replacement). I know all those can be swapped, but I love the bike and the way it fits me. I am also upside down on the original loan (SUCKS) so there is no way I would be money ahead getting a new bike. I want to ride this one 'till the wheels fall off, and then put on new wheels!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Money well spent! Not only did the shop give me a fair price on labor, but they also stayed under retail on parts (every little bit helps). I am more than pleased with the results. I have a bike that I love that has been torn down and gone through by trained professionals and now has new cam chains, tensioners, and rings. The bike sounds and runs better than it did when I got it. I was grateful that the service writer stayed after hours so I could pick up my bike and stayed around to let me listen to her purr. If you have been living with the extra noise from your M50, consider the cam chains and what they do in terms of keeping things synchronized. Mine had stretched to the point the tensioners could no longer take up the slack. Had I ignored them, as much bad stuff could happen as with the dry drive shaft BurnChassis brought to our attention (mine was fine, by the way).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.