Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, need help. 2014 Roadliner S.

Went in service this past March, 2400 miles. It has been sitting in my selling dealers shop for three weeks.
It developed a loud 'tap' that started off intermittent at 500 miles. At start up, it would tap for a few seconds and go away.
It's now constant, so I towed it 100 miles to my selling dealer.

Being a 45 year retired auto technician, it sounds like a bad lifter to me on the front cylinder. I'm being informed by the shop that I'm looking at October before it is repaired. (Warranty)
It's been there three weeks and they have done nothing more than listen to it. I get a message today informing me the engine will have to come out for further diagnosis.

My question is this: To replace a lifter, does the engine have to come out? Seems to me, I could remove the the front valve cover, push rod tube and lifter base and replace the lifter.
All without removing the engine and the head.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sitting here without a ride at the best time of the year coming up(Fall).

·
Super Moderator
12,425 Posts
You should have received a Warranty book with your new bike.
In there is a contact number for warranty complaints.
USE IT.
You should not have to put up with this kind of manure.

While I know it won't be the same, if they really are that busy maybe they could arrange you a decent loaner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Easy Rider,
I just got off the phone with Yamaha. It looks like my dealer contacted Yamaha yesterday(after three weeks) for technical advise.
They told them to replace the lifters(4). The dealer told me I'm looking at October before it's repaired. I told Yamaha that time frame is unacceptable.
Waiting for a call-back tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my question remains. To replace the lifters, does the engine have to come out? Seems to me, the valve covers, push rod tubes and lifter bases could be removed and replace the lifters.
All without removing the engine and the heads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They didn't say when in October. The way this is going, it could be the end of October. If the engine doesn't have to come out, I figure it's a four hour job.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Even an engine out lifter swap should only take a day... although I would strongly suspect the engine probably wont need to come out...what are they doing for the rest of the month? sitting on their arses? Did you contact Yamaha America or the company in Japan?...I never speak to the oily rag....always go to the engineer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even an engine out lifter swap should only take a day... although I would strongly suspect the engine probably wont need to come out...what are they doing for the rest of the month? sitting on their arses? Did you contact Yamaha America or the company in Japan?...I never speak to the oily rag....always go to the engineer
That's my feeling but it looks like I'm stuck. I contacted Yamaha two days ago and low and behold I got a call from the Service Manager yesterday. Yamaha want's all four lifters replaced. That will require engine removal. Hopefully in two weeks I'll have my bike back.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Get on that managers back. An engine out job when you have all the right gear shouldnt take two weeks. I would expect a person to work on the bike until its finished....not pull a bit off then do something else....so a day or two should see it done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Get on that managers back. An engine out job when you have all the right gear shouldnt take two weeks. I would expect a person to work on the bike until its finished....not pull a bit off then do something else....so a day or two should see it done.
I'll give him a week. Then I get on the horn with Yamaha again. He tells me he has seven engines down. Not my problem, it's been there three weeks today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts