Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I purchased my 2019 Royal Enfield 650, I've occasionally noticed a metallic rattling sound coming from the front of the bike. My dealer thought it was a loose engine cooler guard but the noise is still there after tightening.

I notice it only when accelerating firmly in the 3-4k RPM range going uphill and the noise isn't always heard.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot the issue. I think it's either a spark knock/detonation issue or a vibration that's only noticeable when the engine is under load from acceleration.

Higher octane fuel hasn't helped. Would it be costly for a mechanic to troubleshoot the issue?

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Higher octane fuel hasn't helped. Would it be costly for a mechanic to troubleshoot the issue?
How high ? Above 90.....premium ?
I think I'd change the plugs first, just in case there is some carbon buildup on them.

Any engine mods......like pipes or intake ?
That can make it run a bit lean and more prone to compression knock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How high ? Above 90.....premium ?
I think I'd change the plugs first, just in case there is some carbon buildup on them.

Any engine mods......like pipes or intake ?
That can make it run a bit lean and more prone to compression knock.
Thanks I'll look into switching the plugs.
Yes I've tried 98 Premium and still an issue. Was using 91 mostly. Here in Aus, 91 is your lowest octane.
No engine mods. I've noticed there's no knocking/rattling going uphill when the engine's only been running for 5-10 mins. After about 20 mins, the noise is there. Starting to wonder if it could be related to overheating? Again only uphill and under firm acceleration between 3 - 4k rpm.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Cam chain? whereabouts in AU are you. I know the local Royal Enfield dealer is very well thought of here in the West. If it has an auto cam tensioner then it may be just about to click over....is it the new twin 650? and what sort of mileage does it have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cam chain? whereabouts in AU are you. I know the local Royal Enfield dealer is very well thought of here in the West. If it has an auto cam tensioner then it may be just about to click over....is it the new twin 650? and what sort of mileage does it have.
Hi Steve, I'm in Brisbane. It's a 2019 650 GT and I bought it new. I started noticing the noise about a year ago (4000 kms on the odo then). Still making the noise now (12500 kms).
Regularly serviced and maintained.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Starting to wonder if it could be related to overheating? Again only uphill and under firm acceleration between 3 - 4k rpm.
Yes, if it is running hot it can be more prone to ping and knock.
3500 seems to be kind of a slow engine speed for accelerating uphill.......but I'm not really familiar with your model.
Maybe you just need to charge your riding habits a bit and downshift one gear when going uphill at that speed.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
I agree with ER you may need to give it a bit more speed uphill the rattling is probably due to too low rpms. What does it redline to....I know they are fairly low reving engines...bit like the old british bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts