Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
That will vary widely with a number of factors. You'd have to specify some circumstances to even get a vaguely useful number.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tried to take exhaust temp last night bit the gauge won't read that high.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Well, where I ride it's been pretty warm the last few days.

Yesterday they were hotter than a Half F'd Fox in a Forest Fire.

Today is expected to be warmer...I'll try to provide you with an update.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
Hot enough to blister the p!$$ out of the inside calf if you ever try stop and go traffic in shorts.

Seriusly though. Typical ranges:

Combustion temp 14-1600* F (Gasoline wants to burn 1600 under compression but a propperly working EGR will bring it down to 1400)

Exhaust temp is typically about 700* F at the head.
Exhaust plumbing temp will be less than that depending on how efficiantly it can exchange heat with the outside air.

All temps are given as nominals for four stroke gas motors at high load.

I'll ask around and see if I know anybody with an infrared red guage. NMc

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've killed 500 degree engine enamel on my pipes, from header to tail. The 1200 is standing up a lot better- the headers are are going to need a touch up soon, but otherwise they are great. I can tell you the muffler gets hot enough to melt the hell out of saddle bags and make my rain suit smolder when a strap came lose.... grumble grumble.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Why be like this ?
Because what you asked for is not practical.

The "touchless" temperature gauges that are commonly available measures infared radiation and are designed to be used (mainly) with solid surfaces......walls, windows, PIPES.....even liquids to some degree but NOT gasses.

A hot gas has different infared properties than a hot solid or liquid.
You can tell a DIFFERENCE in temperature but the actual reading won't be accurate; probably not even close.

If you would tell us what you are trying to get at, maybe someone could provide you with a meaningful answer.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I need to know if BOTH pipes run the same temperatures.
If you were to shoot inside the pipes,you would get a surface reading of inside the pipes.If you don't have a temp gauge...why even post?
CS

·
Registered
165 Posts
I gotta defend Burn, this guy has given more useful info and how-to's than anybody else on here, and yet get's slammed by the mods for asking a question that he probably has a just reason for. He wants to know if his pipes are equal, 'nuff said.

Play nice ya cranky bastards!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Assuming the skin on both your index fingers is equally delicate, touch each pipe and let us know :lol4:

Based on what I know about heat and how it dissipates over distance from the head, all things being equal (pipe diameter, bend angle total, etc.), the shorter (top) exhaust pipe will be slightly hotter than the longer (bottom) pipe. Both will inflict major burns to the touch :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
If you were to shoot inside the pipes,you would get a surface reading of inside the pipes.If you don't have a temp gauge...why even post?
I am posting just to upset you......which is what you seem to think.....which is as FAR from the truth as you can get.

I am trying to help make some sense out of a general misunderstanding....but if you don't want my input then fine, screw it.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
If you don't have a temp gauge...why even post?
CS
2 reasons:

1) You didn't say you wanted to compare the two pipes, which left room for confusion, and..

2) Others among us have brains which hold useful information as well. I just could be that we're trying to help.

If all we are is a conduit for data, find another sucker. If not, let us participate without getting pissy.

And no one got "slammed by the mods". Critical analysis =/= personal attack.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If anyone has a Laser temperature gauge ...Can you do me a favor ,and take the temps of your exhaust please?
As it comes out of the pipes I'd like you to shoot just inside the pipes.
Thanks!
CS
He asked if anyone has a laser temp gauge,can you please take temps?
Doesn't need to be "practical",doesn't need to explain so he can be helped further,just needs you to take temps and post.if not,don't post.
Hell,he even said thanks.

Once again posts from the people trying to "help".
If you really want to help,post the temps!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He asked if anyone has a laser temp gauge,can you please take temps?
Doesn't need to be "practical",doesn't need to explain so he can be helped further,just needs you to take temps and post.if not,don't post.
Hell,he even said thanks.

Once again posts from the people trying to "help".
If you really want to help,post the temps!
And I thank you too!
:mrgreen::bluethum:
CS

1 - 20 of 54 Posts