Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
Why be like this ?
Because what you asked for is not practical.

The "touchless" temperature gauges that are commonly available measures infared radiation and are designed to be used (mainly) with solid surfaces......walls, windows, PIPES.....even liquids to some degree but NOT gasses.

A hot gas has different infared properties than a hot solid or liquid.
You can tell a DIFFERENCE in temperature but the actual reading won't be accurate; probably not even close.

If you would tell us what you are trying to get at, maybe someone could provide you with a meaningful answer.

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
If you were to shoot inside the pipes,you would get a surface reading of inside the pipes.If you don't have a temp gauge...why even post?
I am posting just to upset you......which is what you seem to think.....which is as FAR from the truth as you can get.

I am trying to help make some sense out of a general misunderstanding....but if you don't want my input then fine, screw it.

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
He asked if anyone has a laser temp gauge,can you please take temps?

Doesn't need to be "practical",
Well, apparently the answer to the original questions is...............(sound of crickets chirping).

But just for the record, HOW you take the measurement can make a BIG difference in the results. Trying to measure the "exhaust" as he originally stated it, to me means the exhaust gasses, which isn't what the meters are designed for. Trying to measure the inside of a pipe with hot gas flowing through it is equally as impractical or maybe even worse.

Without "being practical", what's the point of asking in the first place ????
I can think of a LOT more interesting things to discuss if we are just wasting time.

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
The only time your wasting is reading the original post.If you can't help,then just leave it alone and move on right?
Did I miss the notification where you were appointed head moderator and given the authority to tell all the rest of us what to do ??? :fight1:

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
I think you have hit on the reason some members post rarely and some have left the site completely never to return.
And I think you ASSume too much.

EVERY forum, regardless of the subject and irrespective of the membership, has that happen.

The reasons are many and vaired.

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
I guess you know who I had in mind. Being an ASSuming person does not make you correct, or does it?
No need to explain; I understand your narrow perspective.

Ironically, if you are right, then the message you posted contributes to the problem instead of making it any better.

It takes TWO (at least) to have an arguement.

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
I tried to make the hot cylinder more rich in fuel and it helped a little.. what do you know boys??
You are working on the wrong SIDE.
It is the COLD side where the problem is.
Likely it is not firing at all at idle and not much when going faster.
Probably not getting enoug fuel to that side, maybe because the carb is all gummed up.

A double shot of Gumout or Berrymans B12 might do wonders.......maybe plugs too.
But you really should check for spark on that side; there might not BE any.

·
Super Moderator
13,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Some friendly hints:
For things like this which don't match exactly with another thread, you should start your own thread; it is a LOT more visible that way.

When referring to "you" in a post, nobody knows who that really is unless you quote part of the previous post that you are talking about.

Then to your question:
Nobody know for sure without being there to see it.
Things like that can be dangerous though, if for instance the muffler comes loose and the front falls down and catches on the pavement. :shock:

If you can be pretty sure that won't happen, then I'd say go for it and see how long it holds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.