Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Harley's website under specs shows the 96" motor in the Superglide Custom and Streetbob and the 103" in the Fatbob, Wideglide & Switchback.
guess that explains part of the $2k jump between those 2 and the rest of the dyna series.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
gas mileage on the fat bob is better than my m50 for my standard 160 mile round trip to work and back. 47 on the fatbob 43 on the M averaging about 75mph.
but the fat bob runs premium. where the m uses regular.

·
Registered
677 Posts
gas mileage on the fat bob is better than my m50 for my standard 160 mile round trip to work and back. 47 on the fatbob 43 on the M averaging about 75mph.
but the fat bob runs premium. where the m uses regular.
Dang dude! I thought I had it bad with my almost 90 mile round trip for work. 160? Ouch.

I bet the fat bob is better on gas. My friends road glide with the 103 gets better mpgs than my M. That 6th gear does wonders I tell ya. He says he is pulling like 2100rpm at 70 in top gear. Even if they use premium, that is still excellent cruising distance.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Dang dude! I thought I had it bad with my almost 90 mile round trip for work. 160? Ouch.

I bet the fat bob is better on gas. My friends road glide with the 103 gets better mpgs than my M. That 6th gear does wonders I tell ya. He says he is pulling like 2100rpm at 70 in top gear. Even if they use premium, that is still excellent cruising distance.
The 6th gear is nice but you gotta have the power to pull it at a low rpm to get the mileage, that's why many smaller displacement bikes like the M don't have a 6th gear.
I live up in the mountains and my commute to work involves a hot of curves and hills, I drive rather than ride a lot because of the deer population and the road follows a stream so they cross all the times.
I have a Chevy S10 pickup 4cyl 5 speed that gets great mileage on the highway and also a '93 Chevy Z28 Camaro with a 5.7 (350LT1) V-8.
Of course the Camaro is a lot faster but with it's OD trans and all that power I get better mileage on my work commute with it than I do with the S10.

·
Registered
677 Posts
yeah, at least 101 is pretty and the weather is almost always nice. if i wasnt doing it on a bike i would have moved already.
I hear ya. I'm the same way. If I had to drive it everyday, I'd go crazy. Stays pretty warm here for most of the year also, kinda windy though.

Google map highway 75 from Tulsa, ok to Bartlesville, ok. See the curves on my commute. Lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
The 6th gear is nice but you gotta have the power to pull it at a low rpm to get the mileage, that's why many smaller displacement bikes like the M don't have a 6th gear.
I live up in the mountains and my commute to work involves a hot of curves and hills, I drive rather than ride a lot because of the deer population and the road follows a stream so they cross all the times.
I have a Chevy S10 pickup 4cyl 5 speed that gets great mileage on the highway and also a '93 Chevy Z28 Camaro with a 5.7 (350LT1) V-8.
Of course the Camaro is a lot faster but with it's OD trans and all that power I get better mileage on my work commute with it than I do with the S10.
Yeah but I think here with the flatness of the plains, a sixth gear would be okay for my M. I wouldn't think it necessary in Arkansas for example.

Gotta love America man, drive your z28 for the gas mileage. Haha love it. Totally get what you mean though. My wife's ford focus wouldn't have made it in Branson. But, my v6 SUV didn't break a sweat. There is something to be said for power...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Gotta love America man, drive your z28 for the gas mileage. Haha love it.
You'd be surprised, with 2.73:1 gears I've done as well as 29.375 mpg on the freeway at about 65 mph.
Not to shabby for a car with a fair sized high performance V-8 'eh.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I hear ya. I'm the same way. If I had to drive it everyday, I'd go crazy. Stays pretty warm here for most of the year also, kinda windy though.

Google map highway 75 from Tulsa, ok to Bartlesville, ok. See the curves on my commute. Lol
Gotta love the ruler highways. I-5 between LA and SF is like that but thankfully i only do that every 3-6 months. one of these days i'll get up to ND and do I-94

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You'd be surprised, with 2.73:1 gears I've done as well as 29.375 mpg on the freeway at about 65 mph.
Not to shabby for a car with a fair sized high performance V-8 'eh.
beats the heck outta my silverado 2500 that never gets better than 19 ( downhill with a tailwind).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Or my big block 1978 GMC High Sierra 4X4 that gets 9 uphill loaded or empty downhill with a tailwind.
If I remember right that is a 350, or maybe a bored out 350. Kinda like a 454... Doesn't matter what you do to it, it'll get better mpgs than a Prius. (Not really, I'm just drunk and hate prius's (priusi?) ) I dunno.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If I remember right that is a 350, or maybe a bored out 350. Kinda like a 454... Doesn't matter what you do to it, it'll get better mpgs than a Prius. (Not really, I'm just drunk and hate prius's (priusi?) ) I dunno.
My '78 has a 454 in it, also has 4.56:1 gears a 6" lift and 36" swampers lol.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It's a big O'l beast but it'll haul about anything and pulls like two freight trains lol.
It's also the oldest rig (running anyway) that I own but the most dependable as well.
It can sit out there for months and in the dead of Winter with 2-
3 feet of snow on the ground she'll fire right up and run like a top on the gas that's been in it for ever without any Stabil lol.
She may get awful gas mileage but she always runs and gets me there in the worst of weather.
I've had two tons of gravel in the old girl and she wasn't bothered a bit, it would have crushed my S10.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's a big O'l beast but it'll haul about anything and pulls like two freight trains lol.
It's also the oldest rig (running anyway) that I own but the most dependable as well.
It can sit out there for months and in the dead of Winter with 2-
3 feet of snow on the ground she'll fire right up and run like a top on the gas that's been in it for ever without any Stabil lol.
She may get awful gas mileage but she always runs and gets me there in the worst of weather.
I've had two tons of gravel in the old girl and she wasn't bothered a bit, it would have crushed my S10.
I know man, they don't build them like they used to. Just look under the hood on a new Chevy truck. How are you supposed to work on any of that crap? Oh that's right, you aren't... unless you are an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I know man, they don't build them like they used to. Just look under the hood on a new Chevy truck. How are you supposed to work on any of that crap? Oh that's right, you aren't... unless you are an electrical engineer.
Even my 20 year old Z28 is like that,love the old simple stuff.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts