Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 69 year old Male that is looking to purchase his first big bike. I am 5ft 10 inches tall and weigh 185 lbs. and in excellent health. I have years of bicycling experience. Both Road and Single track Mtn Biking. Thinking it is about time to continue my enjoyment of being on two wheels, but have some power. Ideally, I would like to get into a Bike that I can ride locally and then also do some medium distance touring. I have been looking at the category of cruisers. I.E Harley and or Indian. I would prefer something that I can mount a windshield and bags for the medium distance touring. I really like the looks of the and lines of the Harley Softail Standard. I see they have one available with bags and windshield. However, as I have researched bikes, I believe I came across information indicating this bike is susceptible to instability at highway speeds. Ok, my questions. As and inexperience older rider what would be your recommendations for a first bike? I really would like a bigger bike (i.E not start with a beginners bike and then be unhappy with lack of power, etc) I am open to all feedback and opinions. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,512 Posts
Welcome. I deleted your other post. Something happened to it and it was all messed up.

Unless you can pay cash, I would recommend that you NOT look at Harleys or Indians as a first bike.

Something like a Kaw Vulcan 900 custom, a Yamaha Vstar 900 or 1100 or Suzuki M50.......or other cruisers in the 800 to 1200 range should be fine.

Unless you still have the mentality of an 18 year old, any of those bikes should satisfy your realistic needs.

It took me about 40 years of riding to find the Vulcan 900 custom and I loved it.
I cried when I sold it.

P.S. Do NOT buy anything without a test ride. That probably means getting your M endorsement on your license first.......if that is required in your State.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. I deleted your other post. Something happened to it and it was all messed up.

Unless you can pay cash, I would recommend that you NOT look at Harleys or Indians as a first bike.

Something like a Kaw Vulcan 900 custom, a Yamaha Vstar 900 or 1100 or Suzuki M50.......or other cruisers in the 800 to 1200 range should be fine.

Unless you still have the mentality of an 18 year old, any of those bikes should satisfy your realistic needs.

It took me about 40 years of riding to find the Vulcan 900 custom and I loved it.
I cried when I sold it.

P.S. Do NOT buy anything without a test ride. That probably means getting your M endorsement on your license first.......if that is required in your State.
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
WHS... Harleys and Indians are heavy bikes....some of the Japanese ones are too. Like ER says sit on and ride the bikes in your selection...go for a motorcycle safety course and don't forget you may end up dropping your first motorcycle ....picking them up can be a difficult task....made more difficult by weight....also the expense of replacing broken bits. Personally I would be looking at a good solid use machine M50...Vulcan etc.

good luck

·
Administrator
69 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD the site, and...

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course yet? That's where I'd start and in doing so you might change your mind about first bike. I'd stay in the 500cc range or lower for first bike and there are several in the major 4 Japanese bikes that would suit you well until you are ready to step up to the weight of the bigger bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts