Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
wow - thanks to everyone! all that info is great, and a lot more than I was anticipating!

I am planning on a used bike, because it's cheaper, I can buy better gear/accessories, and if I do drop it, I won't feel as bad. I've been looking at both naked and 's' models, but part of the decision will come down to what is available. I like the look of the naked bike, however.

I've never worked on anything that is carburetted...I know in certain cars they can be higher maintenance...is this the same with motorbikes?

thanks again -

Not in my opinion, but I love pulling apart engines:lol4:

to someone who isn't as keen, maybe... but if you get an older bike, get the Haynes/Chilton/Clymer manual and there isn't much you can't do.:bluethum:

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
Hi Motorrad, welcome to the forum.

I've got to ask ... you've chosen Motorrad (German for motorcycle) as your name ... Sprichtst Du auch Deutsch? Ich wohne in der Schweiz, darum ist deiner Name mir aufgefallen...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ja, stimmt. ich kann was auf deutsch :) meine mutter ist deutscher, und ich habe auch deutsch studiert. ich war einmal auch in der schweiz - ich hatte einen freund in zug besucht. ich bin auch nach zuerich, basel und luzern gereist, und fand die schweiz ganz herrlich!

and redsv - I too like to tinker, but I also want a bike that will be relatively easy to care for. if fuel injection means less worries than carburetor, all the better. call me lazy!

·
Registered
302 Posts
if fuel injection means less worries than carburetor, all the better. call me lazy!
Only if you keep the bike stock. Rejetting is much cheaper/easier than remapping ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well, it's finally happened...I got my bike! I just picked it up today, went out for about 1 1/2 hours and had a blast. thanks for everyone's advice and help!!! and I don't have any pictures yet. I'll work on that. right now I'm focusing on my driving abilites lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have fun and take it easy for awhile. Stay off busy city streets until you build your skill. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to swerve/split lane/slam brakes etc to avoid some A$$ on a cell phone in a cage....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thanks - I have been having fun! I've been avoiding all major roads, sticking to two lane roads and back roads, as well as a healthy dose of parking lot practice. I'm so glad I found this forum and actually paid heed to what everyone has written. I couldn't imagine at this point having a bike with more power or that is even sportier - this is a great learning level.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well, it's finally happened...I got my bike! I just picked it up today, went out for about 1 1/2 hours and had a blast. thanks for everyone's advice and help!!! and I don't have any pictures yet. I'll work on that. right now I'm focusing on my driving abilites lol
Congrats! A friend told me one thing when I bought my SV, and I feel I should pass it on to you for humor's sake.. "take off your mirrors, I promise you won't need them... everything behind you will stay back there!" Not that I endorse speeding...um...well... anyhow, have fun!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I dont think that is very good advice.... I would keep at least one on so you can make sure no one is going to rear end you at stop lights, traffic jams. etc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well, they're both still on there, not that they're terribly helpful. unless I squeeze my arms together, all I see are my sleeves...I've tried adjusting them a couple times. I guess I'll just keep working on them...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont think that is very good advice.... I would keep at least one on so you can make sure no one is going to rear end you at stop lights, traffic jams. etc
Obviously mine are still on too, lighten up a bit BigE!
I'll let you in on a secret, you'll have more fun riding if you're smiling:wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
well, they're both still on there, not that they're terribly helpful. unless I squeeze my arms together, all I see are my sleeves...I've tried adjusting them a couple times. I guess I'll just keep working on them...
I find if I set mine so I can just see the edges of my shoulders, it gives pretty good coverage of the lane behind me and beside me. But on the whole, shoulder checks are much more reliable!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
There are a few commercial solutions to improve the mirrors on the SV. Spacers.

I always see my elbows but only in the inner third of the mirror. I see plenty and just squeeze my elbows in case of doubt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
IMHO the proper way to set up mirrors is to have them pointed ~1 car length beside and behind you (just behind blindspot) when you are in stardard riding position. When I want to see behind me I just position head forward and to one side to do a quick glance at the rear.

Since I can't flatfoot, at intersections I'm already on one side of the bike, the mirror on the opposite side turns into a rearview mirror. While on the bike, however, the are side views so that I can see if the lanes next to me are clear for escape routes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
so here's a picture...I took my first 'longish' ride today, about 90 miles wandering country roads. this is the end of the day, so I'm looking a little dorky standing next to my bike, and I've got helmet hair lol...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
we have been miserably short on rain all summer and so far this fall, but the upside is that every weekend so far since I got my bike, the weather's been great. I was out again yesterday and today and I'm starting to feel much more comfortable with my bike. I am still avoiding heavy traffic areas and the interstate (though I ended up on it inadvertently for a short time today), and not driving at night. it's a shame I hadn't gotten a bike earlier...I'm really enjoying it. and it's perfect therapy for relieving stress. I hate to think once winter gets here and I can't really go out (or I guess I could, but risk becoming a popsicle).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts