Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm buying my first motorcycle tomorrow, a 1978 honda cb750A and was talking to a friend about it and he mentioned that I should get a manual or replace the transmission because it's old and will probably be crap. He told me that I should get a yz125. The bike that I am looking at getting does have pretty high mileage 50,000 but runs and is for sale for only $600.Thoughts? Thanks -Eli

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
CB 750's were a fantastic machine when new.....as with all old machines, Japanese or other, there will be issues. To single out the gearbox is not good advice they were fine in their day and probably very little different from current ones...in fact they are most likely more robust as newer machines are lighter meaning lighter componants.

A manual is a good idea as you will come across wear and tear. Be wary of any rattles coming from the cam chain as the early CB range had a reputation for weaing cam chain tensioner rubbers out. This can be a major problem as the chain runs between the cylinders and is an endless type necessitating a complete engine strip down to replace.

Some people cut the old chain and attache the new one to it then rotate the engine until the new one is in place and the old one removed.....however this is not good practice as it means a split link is in the cam chain. Alterrnatively you could rivet the new chain togrether achieving a better result.

Be ready to work on the carbs to replace worn rubber parts...and the like.

I like the old CB 750s they are the first of the Japanese super bikes and in my opinion should increase in value....you will need to ride carefully...dont expect to thrash it and get off lightly, although I can see there being a good supply of parts etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks for your feedback. The guy did mention that it leaks gas because of the rubber gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
12,410 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm buying my first motorcycle tomorrow, a 1978 honda cb750A
WELL.....this kind of changes the whole picture.
You did NOT mention that this would be your first ride in your previous posts.....so some additional comments:

A good running CB750 is NOT a good first bike.......unless you want to commit suicide.
It is big, heavy and FAST. Way too much for most fist time riders.

You should STOP listening to the guy who suggested blindly changing out the transmission. I suggest that you find a different adviser.

IF.....you only have one "$600" to play with, you probably should pass on this one and find a smaller first bike.
NOT a 2-cycle....any brand or model.
IF....you can find a second "$600" to invest, you could get the CB as a project and spend another 6 on a small starter bike. By the time the CB is ready to go, you should have enough miles on your starter bike to ride it without killing yourself.

Engine size is not the only consideration. A Honda Shadow 750, for instance SHOULD be a good first bike for most riders. It's performance is pretty anemic in comparison.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have some mopeds and done some riding on them before. But I definitely hear you about it being to heavy. Theres a 125 near by me in good condition that I'll get instead

·
Super Moderator
12,410 Posts
Theres a 125 near by me in good condition that I'll get instead
I totally agree with that decision.
But ONLY if it is a 4-cycle engine and it is less than 30 years old.
(In other words.....if there is no glaringly obvious reason why it would not be a wise buy.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
WELL.....this kind of changes the whole picture.
You did NOT mention that this would be your first ride in your previous posts.....so some additional comments:
A good running CB750 is NOT a good first bike.......unless you want to commit suicide.
It is big, heavy and FAST. Way too much for most fist time riders.
I wholeheartedly second that! a CB750 is way too much bike for a beginner! Like Easy said, it would be a great project bike for later when you're ready for it. I love those and I'd like to get one sometime just because it is such a very cool classic.
Most people recommend a 250 or 300 cc for a first bike, and I agree. I went with a CB600F for a first street bike, for my own reasons, but I'm 60 years old and could trust myself to go easy on the throttle. I still had to be careful, it would GO if I let it. Better to start with something that won't take off with you, and is light enough to handle easily at slow speeds and stops. A 125 or so is a good starter too, but you'd likely 'outgrow' that pretty quickly and be wanting more juice. A 250-300 is a good compromise in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts