Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post (aside from the introduction one). I just bought a 2000 V-star classic 1100. It has 25000 km on it, it has (apparently) 3500$ worth of chrome, 50/50 pipes, engine chipped for the pipes, forward controls, saddles, lots of cool stuff! And I got it for 4000$. I think it was a pretty good deal.

That being said, it does have a few things to do on it. The most pressing one is the rear brake. You need to press really hard for it to break, and on top of that, the pedal doesn't really ''come back''. Also, I think the carb might need to be cleaned out. Sometimes when riding it kinda bogs down. I'm assuming this is to be expected since the bike spent a winter in an unheated shed, and didnt run much last year. It also needs a rear tire.

Now. I'm basically just looking for your opinions on what you think I should do myself/what I should have done professionally. I used to work in a garage (for cars), have worked in a small engine shop (for go-karts haha), and I am good with my hands. I'm pretty sure I can clean the carb myself, but regarding the brake, is that something I should have done professionally?

I don't really know what else to say, I guess I'm just looking for a bit of guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Nic

·
Registered
3 Posts
You probably just need new pads for your rear brakes. There is a video on youtube that explains how to do it. It seems easy, just remove your mufflers and pull the calipers. Tire I would take to a shop, and sounds like you have a plan for the carb. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would recommend having the tire done at a shop, just because it's very difficult without the proper equipment. When they take the wheel off to replace the tire, they can easily tell you if the drum needs new brake pads. If you want to check the pads for yourself, there's a little knob thing on the drum with a thin metal arrow deal attached to it. This is an indicator for the health of the pads inside. If the pads are actually fine, then you'll need to tighten the link between the rod and the bit which twists the drum. Follow the rod from the pedal and you'll find the correct place to tighten. As for the pedal return problems, in my experience all I had to do was spray some WD40 on the pedal spring and it worked perfectly again. If your foot is resting on the pedal, the spring will be just to the left and down from the arch of your foot.
For the carbs, try adding Seafoam to your fuel and running it for a while. Really crank on the throttle a few times. Cross your fingers that it's enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts