Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My c50t has been parked three years with a fresh oil change and the tank drained and flushed prior to storage. What step do you think need to be done before a first start up?

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
What about the battery ?

You need to inspect inside the tank for rust. Leaving it empty was the WRONG thing to do.
If it's not too bad in there, removing the tank and rinsing it out with some gas or mineral spirits would be in order.
Installing an inline fuel filter would be a good idea.

Putting a teaspoon of light oil in each cylinder and then turning it over for a few seconds with the plug wires disconnected......the day before you intend to start it.....will help prevent excessive wear on dry rings.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,183 Posts
After 3 years of storage, I would change the oil and filter, even if it was fresh when you put it into storage. Over the years, the oil additives have probably degraded, so I wouldn't trust it anymore.

Before getting out on the road with the bike, I would check ALL of the rubber - tires, fork seals, brake lines, etc. The tires are probably in need of replacement (due to the rubber getting brittle).

I would also tend to replace the brake fluid, since this has the same problem as the motor oil (degrading over time).

Before starting the engine, make sure that nothing is blocking the pipes - mice or wasps may have decided to build a nest in the muffler...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts