Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought my first Suzuki m50. It is a 2010 with around 8k km on it. I just did an oil change and used non-synthetic 10w-40. I am not sure if this issue was there before I did the oil change but my brother just realized when the bike has been sitting overnight (Ontario Canada, temp is around 0 degrees atm) and you try to start bike by pressing in the clutch lever with the bike being in 1st gear, the bike will jerk forward probably a half foot or so. It does not do it in neutral. Also when the bike has been started for not even 1 minute and turned back off. I again try to start the motorcycle in 1st gear and it does not jerk at all. Should i replace my clutch discs? or should I use a thinner oil, 5w or 0w or should i use full synethic 10w-40 from now on. thanks

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Given those temps a thinner oil would probably be the answer. Once warmed up should solve the problem though...most bikes jerk a bit when put in firts. I would ride it a bit to see if the problem goes away.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
NO. DON'T PANIC.
First, do NOT start it in gear. That is just a good safety practice.

What you describe is perfectly, absolutely normal.
It is the design of a wet clutch.

If you start it in N, you probably will notice that the first shift into 1 will make a loud clunk too; maybe accompanied with a slight lurch forward. Also Normal.

P.S. I hope that oil you used was motorcycle specific oil.
If you put automobile oil in it, then you MUST change it again and use the right stuff.
Most car oils will cause the clutch to slip and burn out........then you will have to rebuild it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I posted the link of the motorcycle oil I used its
Castrol Grand Prix Motorcycle Oil, 4-Stroke 10W-40

description is SAE 10W40- 4T - API SG- JASO MA2. $6.99 per litre

there is a synthetic version of this oil that costs 14-16 bucks per litre. Should i use that instead?

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
No need to go to all that effort.
It has MOTORCYCLE in the name/description.
That covers it.

If you pay attention to the recommended change intervals, there is no real "need" for synthetic oil.
I certainly would NOT throw out perfectly good oil just to try it.
At the next scheduled change, try it if you want.

It is better for extreme service. Very hot, very cold or ridden very hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I just rode it for an hour around the city. Clutch is very strong and when I turned it on in 1st gear today, it didn't jerk as much as before. Today it's about 7 degrees here. I think it's definitely the weather, I'll keep this oil and do a synthetic oil change next time. Thanks! Thought I bought a bike with a faulty transmission

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK fine. Keep starting it in gear.
I honestly hope that you will never have a mis-hap because of doing that........but many people HAVE.
I rarely start it in gear. I just wanted to see if the weather made any difference today. So I can at least know it's the cold that's affecting it

·
Registered
221 Posts
NO. DON'T PANIC.
First, do NOT start it in gear. That is just a good safety practice.

What you describe is perfectly, absolutely normal.
It is the design of a wet clutch.

If you start it in N, you probably will notice that the first shift into 1 will make a loud clunk too; maybe accompanied with a slight lurch forward. Also Normal.

P.S. I hope that oil you used was motorcycle specific oil.
If you put automobile oil in it, then you MUST change it again and use the right stuff.
Most car oils will cause the clutch to slip and burn out........then you will have to rebuild it.
excuse me, car oil is perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't contain friction modifiers, if you look on the api logo on the back of a oil bottle and it says energy conserving it contains modifiers, basically its like teflon and will make the clutch slip. use what the manual says. 10 40 for cool temps and 20 50 for hot summer

·
Registered
221 Posts
excuse me, car oil is perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't contain friction modifiers, if you look on the api logo on the back of a oil bottle and it says energy conserving it contains modifiers, basically its like teflon and will make the clutch slip. use what the manual says. 10 40 for cool temps and 20 50 for hot summer

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
excuse me, car oil is perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't contain friction modifiers,
OK, you're excused.
No, wait, you aren't.
The only safe way to select an oil is to avoid automotive oils completely.......because the makers are not required to list friction modifiers on the labels.
Better safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I rarely start it in gear. I just wanted to see if the weather made any difference today. So I can at least know it's the cold that's affecting it
I hope you won't be too disappointed when the weather warms up and the behavior is STILL there to some degree.
It is normal to do that.......at all temperatures when the engine is "cold".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you won't be too disappointed when the weather warms up and the behavior is STILL there to some degree.
It is normal to do that.......at all temperatures when the engine is "cold".
[/QUOTEeah that's fine
Yeah that's fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts