Motorcycle Forum banner

Flip up jaw helmets and safety

4K views 66 replies 14 participants last post by  SuzukiGirl1 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the safety of a flip up jaw helmet compared to a full face or 3/4? I've got a Shoei Syncrotec right now, which I love...but lately I've been wondering how much it is actually protecting my face/chin, etc.

I'm assuming that a full face would obviously offer more protection, but is having a flip up essentially having a 3/4 helmet protection, with the looks of a full face??

#9 ·
themeatmanlandry said:
[EDIT: You're not aSMOKER are you, 'Zukigirl? :evil: ]
Nope...Not a smoker! I smoked for about 3 months when I was 19 until I smoked a whole pack one night at a wedding along w/ a few shots...the hangover the next day took care of that nasty habit!! :shock: :? :wink:

#12 ·
I like the flip up for quite a few reasons...My boyfriend and his mom and dad all have them, so when we're at stop lights, gas stations, etc...we can just flip them up and chat a bit without a problem. Plus, the helmet is easier to get on and off when you can flip it up first!

#19 ·
Helmet manufacturer have to follow certain regulations to have DOT certification. Tests are done in house.

On the other hand, Snell certification, is done outside of the manufacturer, by the Snell Memorial Foundation (check their website, and even Shoei website has a good short but nice description of what Snell certified means). Manufacturers submit their helmet for Snell.

It doesn't mean it's not a good helmet and that it won't protect you, it just means that they haven't been tested under Snell.

My helmet is not Snell ( I was too poor at the time ... and still am). As for protection I guess it should at least protect you as much as a 3/4 helmet...

#24 ·
So do you glasses or contacts?? I think the flip would be easier to remove w/o removing your glasses every time.

I wouldn't think a flip up SNELL/DOT helmet is less effective in crash protection then a full face one. Any crash impact would be in the closing direction into the helmet rather then in a lifting or pulling action like opening it would be.

I'm happy your safety conscious but I think you’re over thinking on the helmet issues. You’re not going to go down.

Now say it with me, "I'm not going to go down, I am one with the bike, I am the bike!"

#25 ·
Nexus242 said:
So do you glasses or contacts?? I think the flip would be easier to remove w/o removing your glasses every time.
That was the primary reason I was interested in them. You can basically put on and take off the helmet without having to remove your eyewear first. I think HJC has a couple affordable ones (e.g. sub $200). I've seen Shoei's for around $280.

Although I have wondered how solid the things are, such as if you were to go down face first and that section of the helmet snapped off. :shock:

I faintly remember seeing some lab test on the net related to these. Have to see if I can track it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.