Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mileage are you guys getting? I only got 98 miles on my last tank before it starting sputtering and I had to switch to reserve. Mind you, I just got the bike ('03 VZ800) and it's only got about 240 miles on it. Is this because it isn't broken it yet? I know the tank was full the last time I filled it up. Ninety-eight miles on a full tank just doesn't sound right.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tlwisner said:
What is your mileage?
Well, I got 98 miles on a 3.43 gallon gas tank, so that puts me at 28.57 mpg.

· Registered
684 Posts
Well, that's not what you said in your initial post. You said you switched to reserve at 98 miles. True, the tank is 3.4 gallons or so, but 0.9 of that is reserve. So you went 98 miles on 2.5 gallons. That's just a bit over 39 mpg. Still not great, though, compared to what I get.

· Registered
833 Posts
Maybe this is painfully obvious but if you want to understand your mileage well what you should do is carefully fill the tank to the point where the gas is just touching the bottom of the inlet thing (just like the manual says), reset the tripometer to zero. Ride 80-100 miles then fill-up, being careful to take it to where the gas is just touching the bottom of the inlet. You can then divide the mileage by the amount of fuel dispensed (usually to the third decimal) at the pump.

I got 47.5mpg on my last tank. ;)

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
St0nkingByte said:
Maybe this is painfully obvious but if you want to understand your mileage well what you should do is carefully fill the tank to the point where the gas is just touching the bottom of the inlet thing (just like the manual says), reset the tripometer to zero. Ride 80-100 miles then fill-up, being careful to take it to where the gas is just touching the bottom of the inlet. You can then divide the mileage by the amount of fuel dispensed (usually to the third decimal) at the pump.

I got 47.5mpg on my last tank. ;)
That's exactly what I did, although I forgot to subtract the reserve amount from the calculation.

· Registered
3,190 Posts
axel_2078 said:
Well, I got 98 miles on a 3.43 gallon gas tank, so that puts me at 28.57 mpg.
You need to computer your mileage by filling your tank, resetting your trip odometer to zero, then ride many miles. You fill your tank again, see how much gas it takes to fill the tank. Use the amount of fuel dispensed on the gas pump, not the tank's fuel capacity. Look at your trip odometer and see how many miles you rode using that amount of fuel. Miles ridden over fuel used will give you a mileage number.

I'm guess in that you did not ride your tank dry (including reserve) in 98 miles.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tlwisner said:
I'm guess in that you did not ride your tank dry (including reserve) in 98 miles.
You are correct. Next time I'll pay more attention at the pump so I can get a more accurate calculation. :scooter:

· Registered
141 Posts
I usually try to fill-up with about 120 miles on the tank. I've only had to use reserve a couple of times using this method.

oh yeah, my 2000 marauder has over 8,000 miles if that matters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.