Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to replace my fork seals before the season starts this year. Does anyone whose done this have a parts list for oem replacements from the fiche? I'm thinking I should get two of each parts 5 - 8?

Washer
Seal, oil
Circlip, oil seal
Seal, dust

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've done the seals on an '89 Kawa 454 Ltd and my 750 Vulcan, but not yet on the M50.

The following is an OEM parts list from a shop here in Seattle. I hope the link works.

http://www.aurora-suzuki.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

EDIT: Sorry, the link only takes you to the start screen for searching OEM parts. Go to the bottom of the page and select "motorcycle" for the list under "Suzuki" in the bottom left corner.

If I understood your wanted parts list, here are the OEM part numbers for a 2008 VZ800:

WASHER
51158-05A00

SEAL,OIL
51153-10G50

CIRCLIP,OIL SEAL
51156-49440

SEAL,DUST
51173-14F00

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation. When I searched I found recommendations for fork oil weight but nothing for what exactly needs to be replaced during what is considered to be "regular maintenance".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dumb question maybe, but how do i know if this needs to be done on my bike. Are there some symptoms i should be watching for?

·
Registered
126 Posts
ok, thanks. I have 12k miles on my bike, never saw any leaks, but I feel like the front shocks are doing nearly nothing to absorb the imperfections of the road, even on smooth roads the front seems like it's bouncing, so I'm thinking some kind of maintenance is due, just not sure what. I should probably start a separate thread.

·
Registered
729 Posts
ok, thanks. I have 12k miles on my bike, never saw any leaks, but I feel like the front shocks are doing nearly nothing to absorb the imperfections of the road, even on smooth roads the front seems like it's bouncing, so I'm thinking some kind of maintenance is due, just not sure what. I should probably start a separate thread.
Seals should not need to be replaced in 12K miles unless the bike has been abused or the fork tube damaged. You might want to put heavier weight oil in the forks for more ride control. Lighter oil is often put in at the factory fill for a cushier ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I actually emailed Race Tech this morning to see if they have any suggestions, because right now it feels like the front suspension isnt absorbing anything at all... it just beats me up too much on about the 3rd day of my 20 mile commute. Hope they have some good ideas...

·
Registered
729 Posts
If the forks seem too stiff that is a different issue, check to be sure the forks are not over filled with oil. Also check to be the front tire has the proper air pressure, is balanced and not "out of round". Also rear tire problems can show up as problems with the front forks or wheel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My bike was reconstructed after a crash by the previous owner, so there is no telling what all might be not 100% on this bike. I got new tires on it several months back, that improved things. I have the rear shock set to the softest setting too, which helped a lot, but the front suspension just doesn't seem to absorb much impact fromt he road, as I get a lot of vibration and jarring through the handlebars and the body of the bike in general.

When I was sitting in traffic yesterday i leaned into the front suspension to compress it and when I took the pressure off is didn't really decompress all the way, not to the "before point". I think something might be jacked up in the front.

I emailed Race tech and Progressive to see if they have any kind of solutions for me.

I really enjoy the heck out of this bike, and really don't want to get rid of it if this can be solved.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My 2006 with 17k miles on it probably needs to have the fork oil replaced as well. I didn't realize how "mushy" they were till I bought a second new bike and can tell a big difference when holding the front brake and rocking the bike front to back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts