Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Again everyone,

So here is my question.. So I'm a new rider, and i have had my bike for a few weeks. I live in long beach, and my family lives in San Diego. I wanted to go down for thanksgiving to go see them(i recently just told them i just got a motorcycle). I was wondering what you guys thought, as far as it goes with new riders, holidays and being on the roads. I would really love to go down there on my own freedom, but i want to be smart about this. Would it be better for me to find a different way to get down, or do you think it shouldn't be to bad for me to drive down to san diego, keep in mind it's about a 1hr and 30-50min drive. I was planning on leaving the possibly the tuesday afternoon/evening of thanksgiving week, then driving back on black-friday morning. I also don't have a windshield for my bike yet, i have 2007 honda shadow aero(750cc). please let me know what you guys think, taking in to consideration the information i have offered.

thanks,

jadex

·
Registered
578 Posts
I wouldn't risk it until you have more time in. things happen very quickly on the freeway, especially on the 5 in that area. You would be better off having more experience under your belt before doing it. At the very least, taking a basic rider safety course.

But if you do decide to go anyway, I would recommend at least staying in the right lane, slow speeds and taking your time.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
Go for it, you are going to do it sooner or later anyway. Just be cautious, give yourself a lot of distance from four (or more) wheeled units. Chances of an incident are much higher riding in urban areas but the consequences are much greater at speed on the highway. When my girlfriend was learning to ride we spent most of the time out of town on highways then worked on urban settings later.

As for the windshield the cruisers I have ridden it is a huge improvement and I would push to get one soon. But none of the bikes I have owned have had a functional one so I don't view one as a necessity.

When it comes down to it only you know your abilities. If you feel anxious about it and don't think you would enjoy it, don't do it. Take your bike out on the highway for a bit before you decide. Watch the weather like a hawk, riding in the rain is a absolute game changer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yeah I dunno,every rider progresses at a different pace but it sounds like you are very green by your own admission.
I think you'd be wise to wait before mixing it up in that kind of traffic,I've been through LA traffic enough to know what you'd be facing.
Frankly I would look for a different route myself and I have over a 1/2 million miles and 40+ years under my belt lol,I hate the freeways down there.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you dont think you can do it by all means dont, but your the only one that can make that choice.When I bought my M I hadnt ridden in like ten years and I had to ride it 300 miles across Texas at night through some pretty populated (not like I 5 ) areas and I was a little nervous at first but still had a great time doing it.If you never get on the freeway you never will!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys thanks for the post so far. I know in the end it's my choice. I have taken the Riders course. I guess i might feel a little pressured by my parent's when I told them i got it, one of the things my dad said was he doesn't want me riding on the freeways a lot. I know i am going to go on the freeway, and i don't have a problem with it.

However I wonder, if driving in holiday traffic would be the best time to do it? Should something like that affect my discussion and is it a good idea to take those kind of things in to consideration?

thanks,

Jadex

("p.s. it hasn't been done yet, but it always does, try not to abbreviate my name to Jade... really taking off the "X"? what does that do?)

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Go for it, you are going to do it sooner or later anyway.
I do NOT agree with that reckless advice; not even close.
New rider who REALLY does not have good comfortable control of his bike yet........no windshield.......heavy traffic.....high speeds.
A perfect receipt for a disaster.

If he had formal training AND it was a few months instead of weeks AND he said he has practiced his emergency manuvers AND he has taken "test" freeway rides leading up to a ride of at least an hour................
But none of that applies (some assumptions) so the answer is a resounding NO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And that.... was the response i was looking for. Compelling evidence. It's to easy to say sure do go for it. What's not easy is making someone see what it would be a bad choice. thank you. Of course those are all things i am trying to work on. Every weekend when i'm not in school or studying i try to go for a test ride, and get some maneuver practice in. wouldn't have to do this in a car, but on this bike, i need to know it, because my life depends on it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Anything i get on is going to be big.
I hear ya, I have been snooping around on/off road touring bikes lately. Of coarse I have to check out the almighty GS. I went to the dealer and got on a 1200 and an 800. At 5'9" 155lbs now the KLR is looking more apealling. Nothing beats my girlfriend though. At 5'2" 100lbs she makes the 929 look like a ZX14. Riding behind her the rear tire is all most as wide as her waist. Stay safe and keep practicing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jadex1, You are getting some great advice. Sponge it in, and Yes, things happen fast on those two wheelers.

You still have a couple of weeks to get comfortable on the bike at highway speeds. If you feel comfortable after some local highway experience, it will be easier for You to decide.

Regardless, you will be jittery on Departure Day. Get through the Jitters after a few miles, then relax and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my opinion, a freeway is generally my second choice. Biking IS backroads, not to say if I'm going a thousand miles on a trip they are all going to be back road but most of them will be. Also, it happens to be a great place to not just gain experience, but also to put into practice that which you learned. Some of the most beautiful rides I've been on have been off the freeways. Just saying.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.