Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I've been riding for about 2.5years on a ninja 250, mostly every day from home to work and most weekends on a ride out to the mountains. As a commuter, I love the 250. Its very easy in traffic and has been a good bike to learn on as I am sure i would have been in way too much trouble if I learnt on a bigger bike. Riding a 250 for almost three years, with the occasional ride on a 600 of my father. Do you guys think its wise to upgrade to the Z1000. I am not upgrading to the Z1000 to say that I have a 1L or anything of sort. I've been keeping an eye on this bike since i got the 250... and with the way the 2014 and up model looks, i dont think there is a better looking z1000 out there.

Question to you guys, is going from a 250 to a 1L after only 2.5 years on a 250 too little time? Should i first go to a 600 for a while?

If i could have input into this please

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Question to you guys, is going from a 250 to a 1L after only 2.5 years on a 250 too little time? Should i first go to a 600 for a while?

If i could have input into this please
Welcome.
My answer is: Yes, no, maybe. :mrgreen:

You should NOT be buying a bike for it's looks.
You SHOULD be buying a bike that feels good to ride.....for YOU.
Don't buy ANYTHING without a good test ride and if it doesn't feel quite right, keep looking.
Even places who say "no test rides" do give test rides if the see an experienced rider and smell a sale, especially on used bikes.

I personally think that a liter sport style bike is way overkill for the street.
I had a 600 that theoretically would do 140.
I don't know that for sure but I do know that it got to 100 real fast and had plenty left.

You will pay a HUGE price premium for the liter bike if buying new or very near to new.

A 600 would be a wiser choice for most people.
Like your 250, if you decide in a year or so that your USED 600 isn't exactly right for you, then you can sell or trade it with little financial loss......if it still is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
A 1 liter bike is a big jump from a 250. You might want to take an interim ride on a smaller bike for a couple of years.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,183 Posts
There is no right answer to this question - it depends upon you and the bike you are considering. After 10 years on a 50ccm Vespa (my commuter bike), I moved up to a 125ccm bike for 2 years, then jumped to my 1400. I was scared the first time I sat on the 1400, not knowing if I could control such a beast. As it turns out, my 1400 is a very tame beast - it is designed for touring, not for acceleration. I also owned a Triumph Sprint ST (1050ccm) for a short time - that bike, although it had 30% less displacement than my 1400, was a totally different experience. It too was a touring bike, but the 3-cylinder Triumph motor is much more aggressive than my 1400ccm Suzuki.

The worst accident I've had was on my 50ccm Vespa, where some jacka$$ cut me off in an intersection. The worst injuries I've suffered were on my bicycle (when I was about 9 years old) and on a quad (33 years ago tomorrow!).

If you are mature enough to keep your right wrist under control, the size of the motor doesn't really matter. If you can't control your wrist, you can easily kill yourself with your current bike. It's up to you if you are mature enough to handle it.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
The Kawasaki Z1000 makes around 136 HP at the rear wheel as opposed to around 29 on the Ninja 250 you will have to control your urge to twist your wrist as you will easily be doing illegal speeds in 1st with no problem.

These bikes are also fairly heavy and take a lot of stopping...take it from me it is all too easy to give the bike its head then suddenly find you are heading into danger too late to do anything about it. I would advise a more forgiving machine as an interim model. Your choice though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback.

Just to give you guys an idea of where my head is at, I am keeping the ninja 250 as my daily commuter and wont be selling that for a very long time. If i do go ahead with getting the Z1000, it would only be used on weekends and on days when there are no cars on the road(School break etc.). The one thing I'm worried about on the z1000 is the weight and not the speed or how fast the speed comes at me. Im more than confident knowing I wont be throttle happy. To be honest, with the feedback I have been getting here and with talking to people, most suggest I get a 600 and then step up in a few years. I am leaning towards the idea of getting a 600, and if im satisfied with how I handle a 600, then i will upgrade to the z1000 in a few months. But would really like to get the z1000 just as a trophy bike until I get a couple miles under my belt on a 600.

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
But would really like to get the z1000 just as a trophy bike until I get a couple miles under my belt on a 600.
IF....you can afford to do that by paying cash for everything.....then go for it. And asking others for their opinion under those circumstances is mostly a waste of time.

OTOH, if you can't fork over the cash, a good 600 should work for a daily commuter AND a weekend road bike.

I think that there is a VERY TINY segment of the riding population for which a liter (or more) sport bike makes good sense.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,183 Posts
The only time when the weight of my bike is an issue is when I'm navigating very tight curves in the forest. The benefit of the large engine is that it's actually much easier to ride - while others are shifting up and down because they never seem to be in the right gear, a liter-plus bike can pull its weight regardless of which gear it's in. The weight becomes an issue when you're pushing the bike around a hairpin curve. In normal circumstances, the weight of the bike is hardly an issue (in my opinion).

A few years back I was riding with a group of friends - we crossed the Alps from Switzerland into Italy. While some of us were on liter+ bikes, one friend was riding a classic 150ccm bike that he had restored. Going up the mountain, we would leave him far behind us, then wait for him at the top. On the way down, the story was reversed. He could roll down the mountain like a bicycle, swinging his bike around those hairpin turns with ease. Those of us with heavy bikes were working hard, "manhandling" the bikes around the hairpins. Dom was sitting at the bottom of the mountain waiting for us...

·
Registered
357 Posts
. Im more than confident knowing I wont be throttle happy. .
You get used to power pretty quick and the temptation to use it rises. A bigger bike that can do a lot more than your 250 will make it harder to control your urge for speed. Just my experience. Besides, nobody gets a liter bike to just putter around like a grandma, not even a grandma.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One can never have too many Bikes,,If money was not an issue I would keep the Ninja 250 ,buy the Z1000 so no one else does ans sit and drool at it and buy a 600 to Rat around the twisties on the weekend , You will then have a swift commuter a weekend blaster and a week away tourer , I have a CBR 500R for commuter and twisties and a Suzuki VZ M50 Boulevard for week away cruisers but want a Mid size Ducati for the Twisties leaving the Honda to get the Milk n Bread ,,,So all in all Collect as many as you can : )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all, just an update, with all the information I have been getting, most have been telling me to get an interim bike. I've taken that on board and been looking at getting an MT07. I will be demo-ing one weekend come. I've told the sales rep that I am only getting it for a few months then hopefully upgrading to the Z1000. Thanks for all the feedback, it is much appreaciated. Ive been told that the MT07 is a very versatile bike and have seen mostly positive reviews on it. Anyone in the forum have one?

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
I've told the sales rep that I am only getting it for a few months then hopefully upgrading to the Z1000.
A few months is not enough.

It now appears to me that you are locked in on a liter sport bike ASAP and you might as well just go for it.

I think that is a mistake but so is buying an interim bike and then trading it off right away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts