Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, was wondering if somebody could give me a tip on a fuel pump matter on a 99 suzuki vs 800.

When turning the ignition on i hear a constant clicking and the pump is nonstop supplying fuel to the carburetors which lets them overflow after a while. The Bike starts fine. Still after the start i can hear the clicking. I guess its a relay which triggers the pump or the electronical contact on top of the gaspump.
the pump got replaced recently since the old one didn't work anymore. But the clicking matter still stays.
And here my question, does the bike has a separate relays for the fuel pump or is it integrated in the head of the pump?
Could it be a wire problem (grounding issues)?
Is there are other divides connected to the fuel pump while turning on the ignition which could cause that problem?

would appreciate some feedback, since that thing drives me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
12,787 Posts
Is there are other divides connected to the fuel pump while turning on the ignition which could cause that problem?
Yes, kind of.
The float and needle valve in the carbs is supposed to shut OFF the fuel flow when the bowls get full; at that point, the pump stops.
If fuel is leaking past the needle valves, then the pressure never comes up and the pump continues to do what it is supposed to do.
The part that shuts it off when the pressure comes up is in the pump itself.
The pump relay is for the safety cutoff's.

It is NOT good to run it like that because raw fuel might be going down into the oil.

·
Super Moderator
12,787 Posts
Yes. IN the pump most likely......or there is a return to the tank and it runs constantly.

If you are looking at excess fuel pressure as a cause for fuel leaking past only ONE carb.......you are looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. IN the pump most likely......or there is a return to the tank and it runs constantly.

If you are looking at excess fuel pressure as a cause for fuel leaking past only ONE carb.......you are looking in the wrong place.
Thx, I understand completely... I'm picking a bad float or float valve in the rear carb eh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts