Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long can you leave the gas valve on if you stop somewhere or do you have to shut it off everytime you stop.:biker:

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
how long can you leave the gas valve on if you stop somewhere or do you have to shut it off everytime you stop.:biker:
OK, first things first. What bike are we talking about here?
If it's the one in your profile, I can't imagine that it really has an OFF position.

So, the question for your question is: How many positions do you have on your "gas valve" and what exactly are they marked ??

Way...WAY back when I had a bike with an actual OFF position, I turned it OFF every time I got off the bike. Not really necessary but just to be safe.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
The Intruder being an 02 model surely has a vacuum operated valve??? and you do not have to touch it. If you have a Pri position this must only be used when the tank has run dry and you need to prime the carbs. The only other position will be reserve the switch usually will be turned 180 degrees to the on position.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
You'd only use off for seasonal storage. It's probably vacuum operated, which means it's closed when the engine isn't running. If you're getting flooding, you likely have a carb float problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
It's probably vacuum operated, which means it's closed when the engine isn't running. If you're getting flooding, you likely have a carb float problem.
Yes but I'm a bit confused. Like you, I thought that all modern, major brand bikes had vacuum operated petcocks but............if that's the case, it would seem that you would need a "prime" setting as there isn't enough vacuum developed while starting to open the valve.

Either way, I agree that as long as you aren't noticing any leakage, it's not necessary to turn it OFF between rides.

ONE BIG EXCEPTION though: If you park it INSIDE a building that is connected (or very close) to your house, I would turn it off while it is in there. The odds of causing a problem are extremely low........but there is a LOT to lose! :bluethum:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the book said that if you stop you would only leave on only a few minutes if you stop somewhere if longer you should turn it to off position. it doesn't tell me that it is vaccum operated.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The petcock is not vacuum operated, it is a simple three-position manual valve, and te bike has an electric fuel pump.

My first Intruder 800 went 135,000 miles, my second one has 64,000 and counting. With the exception of when I pull the fuel tank off the bike for maintenance, I have never once turned the petcock to 'off' on either bike, even when it sits for months while I ride something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts