Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a great way to get more mpg, use gas without ethanol!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Glad it works for you, I have tried both and can see little difference in my MPG, I generally check MPG every tank on both my cycles. It for sure does not make enough difference for me to drive out of my way to get the non ethanol. I suspect placebo effect is more of a factor.

I just noticed my post count with this post is 666.

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
You say that like it is news.
It isn't.
It is a known scientific fact that ethanol has lower energy content than pure gas.
E10 has 3-4% less energy and thus less mileage than pure gas....E0.

If the cost difference is more than 3% for E0, and it often is, then it's not such a good deal anyway.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
the biggest downside of e10 is the optimal (100% burn) afr is around 14.2 and stock most bikes are at 14.7 (the ECU will compensate some) meaning your running lean all the time (see my rants about EPA friendly maps) . the ~5% mpg hit works out to around 2.5 mpg on my fatbob. if your in an ethanol mandatory state (like cali) and have a carbed bike you might consider getting it rejetted to run richer.

as always the best mpg booster is controlling your wrist.

ps. if someone really wants to see the math for e10 vs "pure" gas i'll write it up.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have heard you can pop a moth ball in the tank and get a bigger bang....of course I have never used this in any of my bikes
PETA gonna getcha for castrating all of those poor little moths. :lol4:

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Best thing is there is no waste...you can make moth soup out of the rest :mrgreen:...I saw this done on Mythbusters...not the soup...they had a car hooked up to a dyno and after dropping a couple of moth balls in the tank the motor produced more HP....apparently

Ps moths are insects PETA wouldn't care!...;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts