Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2006 S50
馃槖 so I鈥檓 sure I鈥檓 not the first to post about this. Long story short, my cap was rattling, I replaced the washer, reassembled, tested the locking mechanism a few times adjusting the tightness of the screws to assure the pins would retract correctly and when I was satisfied, clicked it onto the tank
Now, I can鈥檛 get it off!! The key turns correctly but it feels like it鈥檚 only pulling ONE of the locking pins, preventing me from removing it.
move tried:
  • spraying white lithium dry grease spray down the key hole and working it through the mechanism which seemed to help but it鈥檚 still not pulling the other pin.
  • pushing down on the lock while turning the key, thinking if that it鈥檚 just not grabbing it. No change.

please help

Super Moderator
Push down on the whole cap while turning the key. Considerable pressure might be required on the cap.

IF one of the pins was sticking closed, you should not be able to turn the key as it should be stuck too.

WD40 or penetrating oil would have been much better than your grease idea.

Once you get it off, I suggest that a new cap might be in order.

If you do keep the old cap, that gunk you put into the cylinder needs to be flushed out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Push down on the whole cap while turning the key. Considerable pressure might be required on the cap.

IF one of the pins was sticking closed, you should not be able to turn the key as it should be stuck too.

WD40 or penetrating oil would have been much better than your grease idea.

Once you get it off, I suggest that a new cap might be in order.

If you do keep the old cap, that gunk you put into the cylinder needs to be flushed out.
Dude I had to just pick a lubricant. My research just turned up with more people recommending that grease over WD-40 it was literally a straw pull for me.
I already ordered a replacement so good there.
Thanks for the advice, I鈥檓 going out to try it now..

Super Moderator
Dude I had to just pick a lubricant. My research just turned up with more people recommending that grease over WD-40 it was literally a straw pull for me.
Just to clarify: WD40 is NOT a good lubricant for most purposes because it dries to a sticky mess.
It is a fairly good penetrating oil though......to free things up so you can then clean it out and put a real lubricant on it.
The grease you used won't get down into the places you need for it to go when the mechanism isn't moving like it should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts