Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I just bought my first bike a few weeks ago and something slipped my inspection when I bought it and didn't notice until now. I was wondering why my bike would emit a strong gas smell coming from the garage. I was looking everywhere and finally found the leak and I believe its a gas leak... So I was wondering if anyone knew if this is an easy fix or how much this is typically to get fixed. I was planning on taking it to the shop tomorrow due to it being rather important to get fixed I think.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
That looks like the carbs in your picture.
If that is where the fuel is present, it could be as simple as a drain screw being loose or a fuel hose cracked...........
but it more likely is a float stuck allowing the float bowl to overflow.
That probably means "rebuilding" the carbs, at a likely cost of several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks like the carbs in your picture.
If that is where the fuel is present, it could be as simple as a drain screw being loose or a fuel hose cracked...........
but it more likely is a float stuck allowing the float bowl to overflow.
That probably means "rebuilding" the carbs, at a likely cost of several hundred dollars.
I had a problem with a “gassy” smell years ago, too. All it was was my petcock left ON!

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
I had a problem with a “gassy” smell years ago, too. All it was was my petcock left ON!
Well that's not really true.
You should be able to leave the petcock in the ON position even on old bikes with no automatic fuel shut off and NOT have any fuel escape anywhere.......IF everything is still tight.

You had a small leak somewhere and it was so small the you didn't notice it while going down the road.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
Additional note:
If the leak really is INSIDE the carbs, then fuel might be getting into the oil too.
The shop should know to do an oil change after the problem is fixed.......unless it is obviously external only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well that's not really true.
You should be able to leave the petcock in the ON position even on old bikes with no automatic fuel shut off and NOT have any fuel escape anywhere.......IF everything is still tight.

You had a small leak somewhere and it was so small the you didn't notice it while going down the road.
I don’t know enough about it but my mechanic told me that old bike’s petcock valves don’t stop extra fuel from flowing down into the carburetor if they are not set to the off position when parked overnight. New bike’s have petcocks that do not let fuel flow with the valve set to on unless the engine is running.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
I don’t know enough about it but my mechanic told me that old bike’s petcock valves don’t stop extra fuel from flowing down into the carburetor if they are not set to the off position when parked overnight.
IF the float and needle valves in the carb(s) are working right, fuel should NOT flow even if the petcock is left ON.
If a new petcock "fixed" the problem, then the leak must have been AT the petcock itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts