Motorcycle Forum banner

Gas Leakage 2001 Suzuki VZ800

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mctator 
#1 ·
I went to prepare my bike for the winter & tried to start my Bike. (once again a 2001 Suzuki VZ800) My Bike would'nt start. I turned my Bike off & Inspected it then noticed it was leaking Gas from the top of the Cylider Head, I believe. There's a guy who parks next to me (I park in what I thought was a secure facility) who everytime I see him is telling me "that's a beautiful bike" & asks if I want to sell it. I think he may be fooling with my Bike. (Someone has done it before by messing with the Oil & stuffing paper towels between the pipes & the cylinder block causing it to smoke as I warmed the bike up) Again I am a new rider & I will be moving the Bike to a more location as soon as I remedy the situation. Please help me solve this mysterious situation.
:fight2:

#2 ·
it was leaking Gas from the top of the Cylider Head, I believe.
I think that is not likely.......as there never should be liquid gasoline in the Cylinder Head.

But if that IS what is happening, it is a serious matter......for the bike AND the storage location, should someone light a match. :shock:

I suggest that you should call a shop and have them come get it and see for sure what the problem IS.

#3 ·
Not sure if this bike has carbs but if so then check the fuel valve/floats valves are not leaking and allowing excess fuel to enter the carbs then the motor. Simple way is to remove the oil cap and take a sniff...if you smell gas then you definately need to do an oil change...that is after you fix the leak. Also be aware of hydraulic lock...sometimes enought fuel can enter a cylinder to cause the motor to lock up. This can and does cause severe engine damage if ignored by repeated attempts to start. Even fuel injectors can leak into an engine but it is not as common as carburetted ones.

Good luck

#4 ·
Not sure if this bike has carbs but if so then check the fuel valve/floats valves are not leaking and allowing excess fuel to enter the carbs then the motor.
Yes it does......and that would be the major problem I referred to.......but there is a fair amount of fuel plumbing above the heads that could be leaking too, including the tank itself.

I think he needs to look closer. Fuel actually leaking out from the heads is a rather rare condition, as the heads are sealed.

#6 ·
There is also a small fuel line that serves as a gas vapor recirculation line from the carbs, it goes under the tank towards the center. The hose isn't clamped on and has a very bad tendency of falling off, especially if you've recently had the tank off. my vz800 did the same leak and it made it appear as if the gas was running off the heads. A simple clamp around the nipple should prevent the hose from coming undone again. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.