Motorcycle Forum banner

Gas Mileage - M50

24K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  texrider 
#1 ·
What type of gas mileage is everybody getting? I am cranking on it preety hard and I might average 35 mpg. The reviews and brochures said I should get 40-50 and I am no where near that. But like I said the black was made to go fast so thats what I do!!! lol :smile:

#11 ·
I believe I am actually getting slightly more than 50 mpg. I put in around 2.8 gallons and go 135 miles. The thing is the light doesn't even come on yet, I just made it a habit to fill up around then...so I could technically go on much further. Jardine slashcuts are the only mods...didn't really see if they made a big impact on mileage or not. Oh and it's not like I putt putt around either...in the morning to work I average 80-85 and coming home it's still 70-75 (unless traffic then I just go with the flow). Oh but yeah I ride mostly (80%) highway. Haven't measured my city mileage yet.

#13 ·
pipes should decrease your fuel economy. at least that's what I've heard.

#14 ·
blitz said:
pipes should decrease your fuel economy. at least that's what I've heard.
I read that too and it just does not make sense. More airflow with less restriction should yield higher efficiency. I know on my 4 wheeled vehicles, everytime I added an exhaust+intake I gained mileage if I maintained my driving style from before the mods. The engine just has to work less to get the air in and out. Come to think about it more carefully, back when my bike had the stock pipes the fuel light came on around 124 miles, now it doesn't come on even at 135. It is of course getting better mileage with more miles, but I don't think that alone could be the only factor.

#16 ·
I normally start getting the blinking light at 165 to 170 miles. Filling up at 180 miles (I managed 203 slow riding), I average about 49 mpg.

#17 ·
QuacktheDuck said:
I read that too and it just does not make sense. More airflow with less restriction should yield higher efficiency.
You need to maintain the correct fuel air mixture, so when you put in more air you have to put in more fuel too. I took a long 2 up ride through hilly country cruising around 60 mostly last weekend on my stock C50. 47.5 mpg - about the same as I always get no matter what I do...

#23 ·
I am getting the crappiest gas milage... this week I got 32mpg...Filled it up and after 90miles the gas light started flashing. Filled it up at 105 miles and it took 3.5 gallons. The only mod I have are Jardine 2:2 pipes. Would new pipes cause that much of a mpg decrease?

#24 ·
Even when the bike was stock I only got in the low 40's per gallon

#25 ·
I get about 42 mpg. That is with a windshield and mostly city driving. I'm also in the break-in period. I might also be a little heavier than some....so that affects my mileage I'm sure. Anything is better than the 13-14 mpg I get from my Bronco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.