Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some help with my Katana. I have a 1988 GSX 1100F, and I just recently brought it out of winter storage. It is not running very well. It is hard to start, choke doesn't seem to be working, idles very poorly, and seems like it misses when riding. I have just taken out for a short test drive around the block, and it seems at higher RPM, it is better...but still misses periodically.
I have put in new plugs, I drained the carb bowls and put in new gas, even though I think there was a little bit of old gas in there.
Could that be the problem?
I am tempted to ride it locally to burn off this tank of gas, and then put in new clean gas, and see if that rectifies anything.
Am I on the right page here? Should I be trying something else? Is there something else I should be checking?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I definitely need to hone my troubleshooting skills. I am guessing here, but I think I had the fuel valve on 'pri' too long. I decided to check my air filter, even though it is brand new. Good hunch. When I pulled the air filter, the housing was full of fuel. Siphoned it out. Let it dry. Put everything back together, made sure the fuel valve was 'on' and not 'pri'....took it for a little run around the block....."My Kat is back!!!!"

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
Ok, I definitely need to hone my troubleshooting skills. I am guessing here, but I think I had the fuel valve on 'pri' too long.
That would create a problem ONLY if the float/needle valve in the carb wasn't working......which is possible but not very likely.
Anyhow, it would be a good idea to put a dose of carb cleaner in the next couple of tanks of gas, just for good measure.

AND next year, give it some Stabil or Seafoam before storage. :bluethum:

You may want to inspect that air box again after your next few rides just to be sure something isn't still leaking........and if it is a paper filter, it probably should be replaced too.

There probably is a drain hose on the air box that should be opened by removing the plug on the end to finish your clean-up. Do NOT leave that plug off; it bypasses the air filter if you do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely be doing the stabil in the fall. I was actually thinking (when I was thinking it was water in the gas) of getting gas line antifreeze to put it. That displaces water in the gas to prevent gas lines from freezing. Definitely going to get some carb cleaner now though. I have done carb floats before and it was not a fun job.
I am a little curious about the "cap" for my air box. It is a crimped clear tube. I did take it off, clean it and put it back on, but I am puzzled by the style of the plug. It is about a 2 inch long tubed crimped at the end. Just seems a little puzzling to have such a thing.
Again thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts