Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
longest trips i could take last year were 200 miles at a shot.. but of course i've owned my bike for a grand total of 1 year

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I have gone 600 mi in a day and I was a bit tired but that day was also cold, windy and I ran through a lot of light rain and mist. I think it is the cold that really gets me. Anyway you are what, 20 something? You should be able to show up an old fart like me!! LOL Even with the G-tank I will only be able to go at most 300 miles to gas up so there will be breaks. Comon Tricker!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Vinnie,

I'm going to try to coordinate this with a monthly trip I take down to a facility in Kentucky that I do for my employer, so I'd be trailering my bike down, not riding. I'd be in the Bowling Green area and leave for Deals Gap (or wherever we're going) either Friday or Saturday depending on what works out best.

You're right, you don't want to get near Chicago anywhere around mid afternoon on Friday. The route you have planned sounds like good idea. I hope you can find somebody who can make the ride with you.

I have enough flexibility with my schedule that I should be able to do this. So put me down as a pretty good maybe. :bluethum:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I have a brochure for lodging that I picked up at the cycle show. If this does work out I would think that lodging should be a priority? Maybe some have stayed here or know of a better place?

Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort
17548 Tapoco Rd
Tapoco, NC 28771
(800)889-5550

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yeah, I guess that's the official Deals Gap place. Deals Gap

Here's another Tail of The Dragon Website. It's the only road I know of that has it's own marketing department.

There are links to some interesting maps too.

Overall these are interesting sites to browse. There's probably not a bad road in the area to ride.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
i'll claim i'm still a newbie to this whole shin dig vinnie... I'll want to get some minnesota trips in before i head off on multi-state trips

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I'm 58, so I haven't been able to pass as a kid for some time now, but I still act like one sometimes.:shock:

There are two things you might want to consider before planing on staying right at Deals gap, first off, it's the place that everybody figures on staying, so unless you are willing to book your rooms in advance, you probably won't find an opening when you get there. Both times I was there, it was booked up. Second, the only food they have available right at the gap is hamburgers french fries, and chicken sandwiches. Any decent restaurant is about a 40 min (one way) ride.

All of the small Cities in the area are geared towards tourism, so finding a motel shouldn't be a problem.

Staying in the same room, and heading out in a different direction every day has it's advantages, like not needing to pack every day, and carry everything along with you, but moving to different motels every other day would open up more riding areas to you. Just something to consider.

One of the roads in the area that I have yet to ride is the Blue Ridge Parkway, and from what I hear it's a good one. From Deals Gap, it heads north towards DC, and from what I hear, it's a long days ride to ride it up & back in one day.

I'll check with a buddy of mine that was down there last year for the name of the place he stayed, as I recall, he said something about it being only $40.00 a night, and it was clean & quiet.

Thurdburd is definitely right about there not being any bad roads in the area. I love twisty roads, and after a full day of riding in and around Deals Gap, I actually got to the point where I was looking forward to straightaways.

tricker, if you want to go on this trip, my advice is just do it. If I'm on the trip, don't worry, I'll stop as often & as long as you want. I'm a firm believer in riding at a pace that everyone is comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
hmmm........
I don't watch much TV, but the other day I caught part of an interview with Cher (hard to believe she's 60), and she was telling the reporter that she was once invited by Elvis to go to Vegas with him and she turned him down because she was scared of the Kings reputation. The reporter than asked her if she regretted it (not going), and she said yes, in fact she said that she didn't regret anything she had done in her life, but she regretted not doing a lot of things she could have done.

Just do it man!!!!:bluethum:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Heck yeah Tricker, I will stop as often as you need. This would be a fun trip, we will not be in a cage so stopping works for me. Who know, maybe I will be the one in pain in need for a stop.

What about Clint, haven't seen him chime in yet. Where da Rowdy?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I don't watch much TV, but the other day I caught part of an interview with Cher (hard to believe she's 60), and she was telling the reporter that she was once invited by Elvis to go to Vegas with him and she turned him down because she was scared of the Kings reputation. The reporter than asked her if she regretted it (not going), and she said yes, in fact she said that she didn't regret anything she had done in her life, but she regretted not doing a lot of things she could have done.

Just do it man!!!!:bluethum:
Only Cher could come up with a brilliant quote such as that.. :lol4:

Tricker.. sometimes you gotta do wut you gotta do.. so do it man.. :bluethum:

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
you crazy man... Well i'm figuring out the logistics on my end.. aka whether i could afford to make a trip like that.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Ah, comon Adam it really should not be very expensive. For me gas for the drive will be $150 RT. Probably another $75 just for riding around for 3 to 4 days (1000 mi of fun driving that is) If we split a room then lodging and food would be another $55/day. So in all I would say $500 to $700 total. Where can you have that kind of fun with really good company for such a bargain price?

I am planning to drive to So. Fulton, TN the first day and sleep over at my aunts house. That's 885 mi 1st day, 2nd day would be 387 mi to Gatlinberg. I am not sure that this is the best idea since it would add 184 mi to the trip and also my uncle is the epitome of redneck incestuous inbreeding (if there is such a thing he is the perfect example) Nice enough guy but he will blow your mind with shear stupidity. "come here boy and let me show you my file cabinets stuffed with loaded hand guns"

Anyway I hope we can all work this out as I am really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Change of plan. My son graduates 5/29 so I need to adjust to the week before or after. Probably leave 5/30 or 6/6 since it should be a tad warmer?

21 - 40 of 112 Posts