Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after a 4 hour ride, as I was slowing down, I couldn't get the gear t shift lower than 4th. I could go back up to 5th but not back down. I pulled it over and reved it enough to get going in 4th, shifted back and forth a few times, then it started shifting down. I don't know what happened. The only thing that I had done differently was a friend had told me that this particularia bike was ok to lug down the gears on, so I was shifting out early. I don't think I was shifting out any earlier than recomended by the manual, which seems real early to me. does anyone know what might have caused the gear to stick, and then just start working again?

I don't have a tachometer, does anyone have any suggestion on shifting, at how many mps one should shif this bike? I've heard some say that the manual says too early, then others say it's better to lug the engine than to wind it up.

Thanks,
JD

·
Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
4,424 Posts
Shift point shouldn't have anything to do with being able to shift from one gear to the next. You should be able to downshift to first gear at 80 mph as long as you keep the clutch in ( don't let it out though ).

Eihter your clutch or tranny needs some serious trouble shooting.

A

·
0 Posts
Gear problem on Intruder 1400 and shifting question.

I had the same problem....geez...thought I had a Harley for a while. Was stomping on the shifter trying to get down below 4th. The solution, believe it or not was to spray some duralube on the shifter. Apparently, when hot the shifter dragged enough to defeat the wimpy return spring inside the tranny. I got the bike used and it sat out in a carport for a couple of years. Lubricant must have dried out or I got some corrosion and it started dragging. Shifts totally effortlessly now...up or down. I had a binding problem with the choke also and the same solution worked like a champ. Man, those must be some close tolerances on that shifter!
JimT
Downeast in NC
'01 Intruder 1400
:roll:

B

·
0 Posts
Cross Country

Last year I was on a cross country trip from Vancouver BC to Sault Ste Marie Ontario. Had the bike sreviced before I left. Half way I couldn't shift down or up.Visions of sitting on the side of the road for hours. Then rememberred something I had read about it in my owners manual. Had some 3 in 1 oil with me and oiled the shifter. It had worked well since that time just remember to oil it the start of each season and carry some with you on a trip as the heat seems to dry it out.
BOHOD

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
As others say, lube the shifter. Also, you should change the fluid in the hydraulic clutch every now and then, as it breaks down over time and absorbs moisture. You usually don;t notice, but after a long ride or a very hot day, the fluid gets hot and bubbles form in it. This causes the slave cylinder to not travel all the way, so the clutch does not disengage fully, and it suddenly becomes hard to shift. I don't know how old your bike is, but I change my clutch and brake fluid every spring. This time (bike is 8 years old) I also had to change the rubber diaphragms on the master cylinders, as they were deformed and starting to leak.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 1400 but if it is similar to the C90 you simply remove the 14mm bolt on the shifter, remove shifter, remove steel bushing from shifter, grease, reinstall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lubing the shifter on the 1400 is all on the outside of the trans. cover. Anywhere you have a joint , you have to lube on the shifting mechanism on the outside. Also there is a rubber bushing or seal that is on the shaft where it goes into the tranny cover. This has a tendancy to work it's way out away from the cover and needs to be put back in place. This will cause shifting problems. The seal is to be flush with the cover. You can take the shift linkage off and use a socket to tap the seal back in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 1996 Intruder 1400 where I was having problems for the last three years downshifting to first and sometimes into second and third. I found a suggestion on one of these forum sites to spray a lubricant into the place where the shift lever comes out of the transmission. I did this with spray lithium grease and worked the shift lever for about five minutes while continuing to spray lubricant from time to time. It worked like magic. Then I tried to figure out why it worked. I tried to take off the housing through which the rod came out of the housing, but could not without getting engine oil all over the place. Remember the tranny is lubricated by your engine oil. And surprisingly this oil does not lub the area where the shifter comes out of the case. I think there must be a bushing in there that must have an oil seal on the inside of the bushing allowing the bushing to develop gunk or whatever between it and the surface other shifter rod (for lack of a better term). The grease or other lubricant you use will wick kind of like, or maybe exactly like capillary action in between the surfaces of the bushing and those of the rod going through it. I think this could be avoided and maybe is in more recent models by allowing a small amount of engine oil to reach this area. And maybe there is but it got clogged. I wish we could have opportunities to interface with the engineers who design this stuff, my curiousity sometimes drives me nuts. If I had the time I would just take everything apart to look at it from the inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tolerance must be tight to keep engine oil from coming out. There may also be a seal inside to keep that oil from getting to the bushing. With just a little spray grease, and any kind of oil will work as well, it works like new. I used lithium spray grease in hopes of keeping it lubricated longer than light weight oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up a 1400 and have notice excessive leaking from right under the shifter onto the kickstand. Would this be due to a loose seal? And or something else? Good info to keep in my toolbox for future trips. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Either your cover gasket or the seal for the shift linkage. If you haven't already, clean it all up and keep an eye on where it is coming from. Don't forget to keep your oil level up, but don't over fill. Some bikes are sensitive to too much oil in crank case and puke it out into the air filter. Very messy. Good luck. If you are handy, its a cheap fix you can do yourself next oil change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts