Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whose played around with there gearing and tried different setups and what did you like the best, and what type of riding do you do ie.
highway, twisty, in town,ect?? im thinking of changing back to stock 15/45from my 14/45, but now im thinking that a 15/46 might be better than straight stock while being a little lower than stock, not as short geared as a 14/45. Seems like
a nice combo but i havent run it yet any thoughts guys??

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use a 15/46 setup. I ride mostly in town. It raised my RPM's about 300 in every gear from my stock set up. I really like it b/c you can dip into the lower revs without bogging but its not "buzzy" on the highway (about 5800 RPM @ 80 mph). Its also the max number of rear teeth you can have with the 15 tooth front sprocket on a 110 link chain (standard length for naked SV).

·
Tire Eating Moderator
2,563 Posts
I've got stock gearing on my TL1000s, and I'd probably raise the gearing if it didn't require me to fix my speedo afterwards.

I think the stock gearing on mine is 17/38(37)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are you sure you have to mess with the speedo?? The SV measures speed at the front wheel so it doesnt matter what the gearing is...

·
Tire Eating Moderator
2,563 Posts
Are you sure you have to mess with the speedo?? The SV measures speed at the front wheel so it doesnt matter what the gearing is...

I dunno, I have a TL, the 1 liter-twin cousin to the SV1000's and 650's.

The TL's speedo runs through the gearbox though. I'd like to get an 650 to use as a commuter bike though, I doubt it'd eat tires like the TL does :lol4:

·
Tire Eating Moderator
2,563 Posts
lower gearing (smaller front, larger rear) - decrease fuel mileage.

Higher gearing (larger front, smaller rear) - should increase highway, increase or no effect in city. Kinda depends on how much you change it

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are doing mostly city riding I would NOT reduce the number of teeth in the rear sprocket as it will negatively affect your acceleration. I would increase the number of rear teeth (or leave the same) and ride in a higher gear, if you are looking for better gas milage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts