Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rebuilding a gl1100 and somewhere along the way, the wiring got messed up or something. the tail light stays on. the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the wires. any ideas what happened? tia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, but I disagree. now if the key was turned on, sure it's supposed to be on. key ain't turned on, tail lights stay on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When you shut down and remove the key, make sure you are NOT in the PARK position. This happened to me on other bikes.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
I would be very surprised if there is a wire going to the back of the bike that is always hot (even when the key is removed). The only place power is required when the bike is parked is to the instruments (to keep the clock running, etc.).

So, the obvious places to check would be:
1) As Barrie said, you have put the ignition in "PARK" which will keep the tail light on.
2) You have a problem in the ignition switch that it is not cutting power when you remove the key (this will drain your battery in short notice).
3) You have connected the tail light to the wrong cable (you found one that bypasses the ignition switch)

Time to pull out the ol' VO meter and find out why you have 12v on that wire when it should be off.

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
When you shut down and remove the key, make sure you are NOT in the PARK position. This happened to me on other bikes.
THIS.

When you rotate the key to turn the ignition OFF, stop at the first click.
The second click is the PARK position, where the tail light is supposed to be ON.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

I would be very surprised if there is a wire going to the back of the bike that is always hot (even when the key is removed). The only place power is required when the bike is parked is to the instruments (to keep the clock running, etc.).

So, the obvious places to check would be:
1) As Barrie said, you have put the ignition in "PARK" which will keep the tail light on.
2) You have a problem in the ignition switch that it is not cutting power when you remove the key (this will drain your battery in short notice).
3) You have connected the tail light to the wrong cable (you found one that bypasses the ignition switch)

Time to pull out the ol' VO meter and find out why you have 12v on that wire when it should be off.
Thank you. This was most helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts