Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there. New to the forum, and hope to pick your collective knowledge!

I am new to the cruiser world, as dual sport rides are starting to hurt. The trails around here are basically mud ruts, and that is starting to get old.

Anyway, I am 240 lbs and my wife is at 165 lbs (or 100 lbs if she sees this!) We are looking at cruising secondary roads and are more interested in slower cruising as compared to high-speed slab runs. I don't need super amounts of power, but I don't want the engine to feel like its struggling, and I would like some power on tap for passing, etc. Also, we don't want to tax the suspension too much. We are both losing weight, but I need to consider the situation at the present time.

Oh, and she insists it is a bike with a back rest, as she doesn't like having to hold on tightly the entire time.

As this is my first dip into the cruiser pool, I am interested in picking up an older machine in about the 3 to 4 thousand range. We will look for something newer if we decide the cruising life is for us. Maybe it is a touring bike I am looking for. I guess the touring bikes would have all the bags like a Goldwing? Maybe that is the way to go.

Any suggestions in terms of engine size or bike model? Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
Welcome. I think your budget is a bit low for a 2-up capable bike in good condition.

You didn't mention your age.
If there is any hint that holding a bike up while not moving might be a problem in the near future, it might be time to look into trikes and Spyders. But your budget is WAY low for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't mention your age.
Thanks for the reply, Easy Rider.

I am not that old yet (51), but the trail riding hurts only because I still think I am 18 and get myself in WAY over my head! I simply fall way too often, and I don't bounce like I used to! So, there are no true physical limitations.

More than anything, I am looking for something older to cut my teeth on. Lots of older Goldwings and the like around here for the price I am looking at. I have no issue wrenching on the bike, but not sure if a 1200 is enough engine or if I should be looking for something larger. Again, maybe a full-on touring machine like an older Goldwing may be the way to go.

Thanks again for the reply.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
So, there are no true physical limitations.

but not sure if a 1200 is enough engine or if I should be looking for something larger
Sounds like there WILL BE some physical limitations coming up soon if you don't slow down a bit. ;)

And don't fall into the "gotta be BIG" fallacy. 1200 CCs is plenty, 1100 even with some models.
Comfort and weight is more important than displacement........IF you ride in a reasonable manner.

I had a Vulcan 900 Custom that could carry the weight of two riders nicely.
But not at 90 MPH.
And the back seat wasn't the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like there WILL BE some physical limitations coming up soon if you don't slow down a bit. ;)
Ha! I hear ya. I have no issues keeping the ride mild when riding on the road, but there is something about those dirt trails that make me push it a little too hard at times!

Thanks for the information about the size of the bike. Looks like I will simply have to start sitting on some different models and see how they feel. I will start looking this weekend and see what is out there.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts