Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i shopped around for the HJC ac12 carbon vader and the cheapest i could find online was for around 270 or so.

When i bought my bike the guy agreed to sell me the helmet at cost for $200

So helmets have a huge markup.... Where can i buy one from a wholeseller or one that doesn't want 50% profit ?

There must be something out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you're looking for a particular model of helmet or something brand name, More Power Racing always seems to have the lowest price. they gaurantee it actually.

More Power Racing - More Power Racing

·
We're still thinking up a doozie
2,468 Posts
I just bought my first helmet from here They have good sales on some decent helmets. Mine I just got was both DOT and Snell approved for 79.95 (on sale)!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I bought a Bell Sprint like this from my dealer and if I remember correctly it was $150 plus WI sales tax. For only $10 more than online prices (and I checked around) I got to look at the helmet and try it on. If it wasn't for the young gal helping me try on helmets I probably would have bought a larger size which of course when broken in would be too large, the same mistake I made with my first helmet.

I mention this because it seems to me some items are overpriced and can be found cheaper on the internet, and some can be purchased online or at the dealers for about the same price.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I think most of the companies have at least 40-60% mark up in order to stay open. Does not make sense to sell to you or anyone and not making any money so they might as well close. Make sense...
+1. Anyone in retail knows this. It's not as horrible and greedy as it sounds... it's imperative.

That being said, I'm a vigorous online deal shopper. I often end up at Amazon for the best prices.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Heads come in different shapes as well as sizes - round, oval, elongated, etc, and just buying a medium or large or whatever size over the internet may not fit properly. You really have to try it on first and make sure it fits snug and comfortably. If you want to replace the exact same thing you have that would be OK to purchase online without trying it on, or if it's from the same manufacturer maybe the same size in a different model will fit, but you are still taking a chance. Go to your local shop and try helmets on, if you don't want to buy it there because you think you can get a better price including shipping online, then buy it online.
It's not a good idea to buy a used helmet - it may have been dropped and have hidden damage you can't see. Perspiration and sweat degrade the internal foam and padding over time. It may not be clean. It may not fit exactly right. Unless it's just about brand new and it fits perfectly, it's not recommended to buy used to save a few bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts