Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2002 DWG has a great, stock seat, with passenger and backrest. But it also has apehangers, which I'm thinking of changing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow this thread started long ago and I am just now considering a new purchase. I am thinking of the Dyna Superglide Custom for purchase. I would like to hear the thoughts of going from metric to Harley and why what made you change? Do they have enough power? Anybody read this article? Before You Buy Harley It is scary talk about Harley bikes. But is it or can it even be true? I have never ridden a Harley and just tried the 2011 Triumph Thunderbird which felt great. I like the looks and uniqueness of having something different but yet afraid of the unknown. Are the new Harley bikes really reliable? Just curious and hope some of you will chime back in on this topic for me and others who may be interested in making the change. Any thoughts on Victory? I tried a 2008 Hammer after the T-Bird and it did not impress me at all.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Wow this thread started long ago and I am just now considering a new purchase. I am thinking of the Dyna Superglide Custom for purchase. I would like to hear the thoughts of going from metric to Harley and why what made you change? Do they have enough power? Anybody read this article? Before You Buy Harley It is scary talk about Harley bikes. But is it or can it even be true? I have never ridden a Harley and just tried the 2011 Triumph Thunderbird which felt great. I like the looks and uniqueness of having something different but yet afraid of the unknown. Are the new Harley bikes really reliable? Just curious and hope some of you will chime back in on this topic for me and others who may be interested in making the change. Any thoughts on Victory? I tried a 2008 Hammer after the T-Bird and it did not impress me at all.
Any bike engine with a camchain will need service on it at some point, most of this is much ado about nothing.
Some of the early TC engines had premature failure on the adjustment shoes and some cam bearing issues but overall most were fine and if one checks once in a while and replaces the shoes if needed (usually 40K-60k miles) it's no big deal.
The newer bikes go much longer but as with any chain driven cam will need service at some point.
My bike is an early 2000 (second year TC) ,mine were done at 40K miles and needed again at 100K miles but at that point I had the gear drive kit installed.
No worries on that set up, nearly 75K miles on the gear drives now and 175,000 on the bike, it's been nothing if not heavy duty and reliable.
The touring bike wobble is also much overblown, I've found a good set of tires makes a huge difference but even stock if ridden at a sane pace as it was designed for it's a non issue.
There are some aftermarket parts that improve handling on the older models but again good tires take care of 95% of it, I ride mine pretty hard on all stock suspension with just better tires.
Harley redesigned the touring bike frames in 2009 and changed the tires (much bigger rear and a new 17" front ) to a better tire and rim setup, the result a better handling bike overall.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
I tried a 2008 Hammer after the T-Bird and it did not impress me at all.
Which is better......Ford or Chevy ????

As an experienced rider, you should be able to make up your own mind......based on what factors are important to YOU.

Test ride with blinders on. The "badge" should make little or no difference to you......but to a lot of riders it seems to be THE most important thing.
I never understood that.

Get something that meets your needs and makes you happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Being able to test ride the bikes I am interested in are my problem. I have lost contact with friends that have bikes as I have moved and not ridden a bike in two years now at all. Dealers around here don't seem too friendly about trying out new bikes. I guess I need to start looking at some used bikes to try out. I am not loyal to or against any brand. I want a bike that appeals to me and rides good with modest plus power and is considered to be reliable. I know most manufacturers have generally reliable bikes but some have irritable traits or known manufacturing flaws that I do not want to go thru even if under warranty. Thank you all for contributing your thoughts to my quest. I will continue to pry for your help and listen to your discussions as you all report on your ventures. Happy 4th of July to all and God bless. Ride safe and enjoy your bikes whatever they may be.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Have any of you read this? Before You Buy Harley Is this total b-s or what?
Did you read my post above or what?
Yes I've read it,old news and what truth there is has been blown way out of proportion.
I've been riding Harleys for about 30 years and done over 100,000 miles on several.
I had the top end redone on my 1984 right at 100,000 miles and rode it in still running pretty good to have it done.
Harleys have their flaws as do all machines, no bike is perfect,the H-D is as reliable as any and will out last probably any other long term for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you read my post above or what?
Yes I've read it,old news and what truth there is has been blown way out of proportion.
I've been riding Harleys for about 30 years and done over 100,000 miles on several.
I had the top end redone on my 1984 right at 100,000 miles and rode it in still running pretty good to have it done.
Harleys have their flaws as do all machines, no bike is perfect,the H-D is as reliable as any and will out last probably any other long term for a variety of reasons.
Yes I read your post but I did not understand how it answered what I ask. Maybe I am a little slow or uneducated. Not sure? Sorry I asked....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Test ride with blinders on. The "badge" should make little or no difference to you......but to a lot of riders it seems to be THE most important thing.
I never understood that.
i dunno. brand reputation goes a long way. mfg support network goes a long way.
take hyosung for example. limited dealer network, unknown longevity. so would you spend a few extra dollars to get a suzuki or kawi instead. i know i would.

or victory. they make a nice bike these days. but their early rep wasnt that great and the dealer network is still lacking. and they just havent been around long enough for the "i've been riding this one for 15 years and have 200k miles on it" testamonials. theres huge "gaps" in dealer availability ( which they are working on). but its something to consider when your riding around in the middle of west texas, or cali north of sf, or most of new mexico.... where as harley dealerships are everywhere. as well as the standard multijapanese dealerships. to be fair victory is about on par with triumph, ducati, aprilla and bmw as far as dealership counts and locations go.

based on what ive seen harleys, bmws and hondas tend to last. and the craigslist classified seem to back that up. as i see a good chunk of them out there that are 15+ yrs old with 60k+ miles on them. i just dont see that many suzukis or kawis up there. and while longevity isnt the only factor to consider. it will tip the scales towards a known quantity when im spending $10k+ on a bike and im comparing 2 bikes i like. now if i know im trading the bike in/selling every few years then it makes no difference.

same goes for most everything. there are far more 30+ yr old mercedes on the road than bmws. dell servers tend to last longer than hp servers. i've yet to hear anyone complain that they bought a junk kitchenaide appliance.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
In my case today was goodbye Suzuki M50 and hello Victory Judge
Pictured here at Palm Beach Sydney, fresh from the dealers, with 45 km on the clock.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373114099.402506.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congratulation
I still have my M50 and love that bike, last year I just bought 79 Ironhead sportster, it was sitting in the garage for over 10 years
I took it to the frame and powder coat frame sides of engine covers, fender and tank (black gloss and black flat) I have done few modifications
but it is still a 35 years bike, it rides nice but honestly the M50 is smoother ride
998942_646083762070552_1223537512_n.jpg My M50
1689086_740647349280859_898016211_n.jpg my 79 Harley Davidson IRONHEAD (NIGHTSTER)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
it rides nice but honestly the M50 is smoother ride
I would hope so lol,the m is a hell of a lot newer lol.
Sportsters especially the old Irons have never been smooth compared to the big twins so they are even rough by Harley standards.
I've done a lot of miles on the old Iron Heads in years past, always had a soft spot for 'em for some reason, I've owned 3 Sportsters and 2 were Irons.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
the newer sportsters (2004+) ride alot better than the older ones due to the change in the engine mount.
all sportsters benefit greatly from upgrading the suspension.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
the newer sportsters (2004+) ride alot better than the older ones due to the change in the engine mount.
all sportsters benefit greatly from upgrading the suspension.
Well yeah but 1986 and newer (Evolutions) run a lot smoother than the old Irons as well, despite being solid mounted.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts