Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally made the move to getting another Harley. My first bike was a 2006 HD Sportster 883XL converted to 1200 and had all the extra stuff that I could manage to put into the bike. After a long and drawn out divorce, I had to let the Sporty go back to the bank. A short time later I paid $1200 cash for an 06 M50 (blue bike pictured below) and kept it for nearly two years. I enjoyed the M50 but it was not nearly big enough, or comfy enough for me and the old lady. So I decided to see about trading it in during the 2012 Northwest Arkansas Bikes Blues & BBQ event at our local HD facility in Rogers Arkansas.

I went to the shop and asked them to appraise my M50 and nearly passed out when they came out and said "Ok, we will give you $3900 for the trade." So for nearly $2,600 more than what I paid for the bike a total of $3900 was taken off of the cost of the 01 FLHRCI. With the trade in taken off of the $7999 for the FLHRCI, it left me with a remaining balance of just over $4k. My new bike has 38k miles, and has all of the extra gear that I would want on the bike. The shop said the only reason they were selling it for that price was because it needed one new rear tire and new front brakes & rotors. While I was test driving it, I swung into another nearby motorcycle shop and had the owner there check the FLHRCI and was told that it was in amazing condition aside from the tire and brakes. I went back to Harley and managed to talk them into putting a new rear tire on it for me for free, but will need to replace my front pads & rotors myself. I did not get an owner's manual unfortunately, which leaves me with a few questions about this bike:

1. Does any one know of a way to download the manual for this bike?
2. Brake question, does this bike take floating or non floating rotors?
AND...
3. Does anyone know of a good & affordable front fairing (speaker ready) set up? Where could I get one? I have checked out JP Cycles and ebay but haven't really found a lot of options.

I appreciate any help you guys & or gals can provide me!

Thanks
Michael IMG_2666.jpg IMG_2667.JPG IMG_2670.JPG IMG_2671.JPG

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Looks like new. Good job on the trade and getting that tire.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Congrats,2001 is a great year,still had the forged steel bottom end and Timken tappered main bearing set up.
I'd have the camchain shoes checked/replaced ( or get gear drives installed like I did ) and make sure it's had the Torrengton cam bearing upgrade done.
Other than that these early Twincams are pretty much bullet proof,I've had my 2000 FLHTC almost 13 years now and it's never made me walk with over 171,000 miles on the clock.
Dragonfly probably makes the best fairing but they're not cheap. Motorcycle Fairings from Dragonfly Cycle Concepts - Harley Davidson Road King, Fat Boy, Heritage Softwail, Kawasaki Nomad, Indian Chief, Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, and accessories for your bike
I'd buck up and go the the dealer for a service manual from H-D,good investment IMHO for about $50.
I think you can get floating rotors if you want but the stockers are fine especially with Lyndal brake pads. discounted Lyndall Racing Brake Pads Z-Plus for Harley 00-07, discounted harley davidson aftermarket parts accessories brake pads

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know, but Harleys are twice the bikes that Japanese cruisers are. Someone else on the forum was looking for suggestions for a first bike and deceided on a new M50, I think. I tried to explain that a Sportster or a Super Glide is the best out there for the money.

I bet you'll love your FLHRCI, and I don't even know what it is!

Oh, wait, now I see the photos. It's a Roadking. What a great bike. I think that's practically the world's best bike.

My suggestion is to forget that front fairing baloney. It just ads weight and expense and doesn't matter. The Roadking windscreen works great and the bike looks better without all that hoody stuff.

Do, how much did you pay for that?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I don't know, but Harleys are twice the bikes that Japanese cruisers are. Someone else on the forum was looking for suggestions for a first bike and deceided on a new M50, I think. I tried to explain that a Sportster or a Super Glide is the best out there for the money.

Oh, wait, now I see the photos. It's a Roadking. What a great bike. I think that's practically the world's best bike.

My suggestion is to forget that front fairing baloney. It just ads weight and expense and doesn't matter. The Roadking windscreen works great and the bike looks better without all that hoody stuff.

I pretty much agree except about the fairing,I love the batwaing on my Electra,it's the best protection hands down in foul weather and on long trips really keeps wind fatigue from being a factor.
I rode for years with no windshield at all but once I got behind the batwing on a long trip I wondered what took me so long.
200,000+ miles later I still love it.
The fairing for the RK is removeable as is the factory windshield so you can convert from fairing to shield to wide open depending on the situation,pretty sweet deal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I paid right at $8K for the RK.

I do think that the fairing is a good investment as it adds to the look of the bike, and provides hand deflection & a stereo system imo

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I paid right at $8K for the RK.

I do think that the fairing is a good investment as it adds to the look of the bike, and provides hand deflection & a stereo system imo
Well you got a lot-O-bike for your money I'd say,be sure and read my post above about cam chain shoes etc.
Congrats and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts