Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '08 M50 in late May and didn't get a great deal. I had a trade in and got a loan for the rest and the loan payment & insurance need to be freed up so that I can start putting money back for my baby due in March. :)

I have a few questions:

1. I put lights (LED's) all over the bike. I am an automotive electrician in practice but I don't have any type of licenses or certificates. I was wondering if the bike will sell for more w/ or w/out the lights still attached. I can take them off easily and w/out any sign that they were ever there.

2. I debaffled the bike. Will this cause the resale to drastically reduce?

3. The bike is in great shape and has less than 2000 miles on it. What should I expect to get from the dealer that sold it to me (and holds the loan) and what can I expect to get if I sell it on my own? I'm in North East TN. (I know this is super-ambiguous, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Different people like different things ...what may lower the price for 1 guy will make the other guy be willing to pay more..you just gotta see,you just never know.
however I do know 1 thing for sure...ITS CHEAPER TO RIDE THE BIKE!
lol congrats!
CS

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it's cheaper to keep and ride it, but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and i need birds (money). My girlfriend just moved in and I need birds (dollars) in the hand. I'll have to take a loss to get back on the right track. I should've never financed the bike anyway and I paid too much in the first place.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
my opinions...

I suggest leaving the lights on it...and when you advertize it to say " LED lighting package installed but easily removable" if you dont want it...etc.

I cant believe you will get any acceptable deal from a dealer. I suggest you try Craig's list (near you and in nearby big cities) as a place to advertize and sell it. I recently sold one there at a good price.

Debaffle should not reduce value if the sound is not obnoxiously loud.... dont even mention it ?

You should get a sense of what to ask from craig's list similar ads (maybe in nearby big cities?)...or cycle trader similar ads, etc..... and then subtract some to position yours as a good value to the buyer... and be prepared to come down a bit when you finally haggle at the end with your buyer.

good luck with the baby !!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
1) The lights do nothing for the value- not worth much if the buyer likes them, not hard to remove if the buyer does not.

2) The gutted exhaust hurts value- you have destroyed expensive OEM parts without adding value with aftermarket replacements. This narrows the field of prospective buyers, or lowers the price. The damage is mitigated somewhat if you had the fuel injection controller re-mapped or added an aftermarket fuel controller. If all you did was gut the mufflers and not adjust the fuel flow, then you seriously scare off a lot of buyers who know that this causes a dangerous lean condition.

3) Sit down. Grab a tissue. The dealer is not going to buy it from you unless you let him steal it. Expect an offer around $3000-3200. Or they might take it on consignment, but then they will want a consignment fee, and with a huge glut of unsold motorcycles in dealer inventories most dealerships are reluctant to take consignments right now. If you sell it yourself expect offers in the $4000-4500 range, as the bike is worth less from a private seller than from a dealer who can stand behind the sale. If you owe more than that on it, and you probably do, then you will be stuck between having to ask so much for it that it never sells, or selling it for less than you owe and having to come up with enough cash to make up the difference and pay off the loan. Which is what they mean by the phrase "cheaper to keep it": if you sell it you will probably have to shell out a wad of cash up front to bring down the loan to the sale price of the vehicle, so if you do not have the wad of cash then you might be be better off just making the monthly payments.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Athough keeping it is probably cheaper, you have to also consider the cost to run the bike, cost of insurance and cost of registration....Selling it would help cash flow some what, so in my opinion I would probably sell it and cut my losses...sorry. Congradulations and best of luck with the baby.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Where you at in NE TN Alex? I looked at a M90 at a couple of places and talked trade in and the best I was offered was $2300 for my 2006 M50 with 13K on it. I actually saw another M50 up here yesterday over in Shady Valley. Thought I had the only one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts