Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my parents recently retired. They bought an RV to do some traveling. They plan on coming down to Houston to visit us, as well as, just doing some traveling here and there. What GPS units should they check out? Nothing overly expensive, or that needs alot of technical know-how. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
What GPS units should they check out? Nothing overly expensive, or that needs alot of technical know-how. Thanks!
I take it YOU don't have one either ????

I'd say that any from Garmin, Tom Tom or Magellan that have a decent size screen and Text To Speech (speaks street names) for about $150 would probably be fine. In that price range, I don't think any of them are overly complicated. Look for what's on sale.

I have a Magellan and it serves me fine getting from point A to point B.
It does pick some strange routes in town(s) sometimes but I've heard that they all do that at times.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
TOM TOM... very easy to use.... the low end models work fine for your purpose.... they were on sale for less than 100$ many places over the holidays....

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I just bought a Gamin Nuvi 205 for my wife at Bestbuy for $160 and for the few weeks we've used in it seems pretty decent. Not as capable as my Garmin 450 but easier to use.

I see it's on sale for $110 this week. A nice feature that my Garmin doesn't have is showing speed limits for main roads. That's neat. Haven't really tried to do anything difficult with it yet but so far it's better than I expected. I didn't shop much for this one though, just went out and bought one that was the right price.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like your parents are around my age (60). I just happened across a used Garmin Nuvi 350 a few weeks ago. Since I'm technologically an idiot, I was wary as to how to operate the unit.
Now, 3 weeks later, I use it like I've had it for 20 years!!
I've heard a lot of folks speak of the TomTom (especially women). I figure if an old woman can use it...well, anybody can!!!

CD :leg2::eek:oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts