Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, researched and got a ton of info on how to power up my GPS to bike. Thanks to Cirque for some valuable info. Went to Auto Zone today to pick up parts. Here is what the guy there gave me. Look right?
First: ATM fuse holder hooks into + battery terminal (10 amp blade fuse used)
Second: Extra 12 gauge wire (maybe 2 feet or so) connects to fuse holder with butt connector.
Third: Extra 12 gauge wire connects to 12V power outlet with butt connector.
Fourth: 12V power outlet ground wire goes to ground on bike frame.
Fifth: Mount 12V power outlet somewhere on bars, risers, tree....still have to decide.

This sound right? I am assuming the 12V power outlet steps the voltage down from 12V to 5V? The guy said that the fuse in the fuse holder will blow first before anything hits the GPS. Or does the fuse holder (at 10 amp) step down the volts? I know nothing when it comes to electrical stuff.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Sounds just dandy, but I much prefer to run my accessory grounds to the battery or a fusebox. You can get RF noise through the chassis from the generator, plus it adds some resistance. Chassis-grounding isn't very common anymore, even with low-current lighting. You can always run back to the battery later, though.

No, the outlet does not step voltage down unless it's specially designed to do so. Yours is plainly marked 12V. Any device with a cigarette socket plug should do that itself, though.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
I am assuming the 12V power outlet steps the voltage down from 12V to 5V?
NOOOOoooooo!!!! :boom:

For almost ALL recent GPS units you MUST use the whole mobile power cord as it comes from the factory because the 12/5 reduction happens somewhere in that cord; some at one end, some at the other.

For those not electrically inclined, this means installing a "cigaretter lighter" type of outlet just like what is in the car. Can't tell from the pics. if that's what you have or not.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, GPS came with cig lighter power cord. This is what I was going to use. Plug the cig lighter power cord into the socket I bought today. Didn't cross my mind that this is where the step down occurs. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clint, will take your advice while I am installing everything. I will run the negative wire from the 12V socket I purchased today to the - battery cable. I got 12 feet of extra 12 gauge wire, might as well use it, even though it is red. Will be sure not to confuse things with all red wire.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like beating this horse to the ground! What does the fuse holder (using 10 amp fuse) connected to the + battery terminal do? The cig lighter cord that came with the GPS unit to use in the car has a fuse in that already. Wouldn't that blow if anything should happen? Am I just doubling up on protection using the fuse holder I bought today? Like I said, know nothing about electrical stuff, obviously!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Some good information here guys. I'll be hooking up my GPS too in a few weeks when I get my bike back from storage.

Thanks for the hard work. :bluethum::bluethum:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I feel like beating this horse to the ground! What does the fuse holder (using 10 amp fuse) connected to the + battery terminal do?
It protects the wiring between it and the socket. Say, for example, that the wire gets pinched in the frame (or worse, the tank) and is shorted to ground, or that something conductive falls into the socket, shorting it. Big sparks and instant fire. I've seen entire lengths of wire burn their sheathing off almost instantly.

Keep in mind that the short length of wire between the positive terminal and the fuse holder isn't protected by the fuse, and therefore should be protected by common sense (and/or wire loom).

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
beating a dead horse is a harley related question or "dark side" conversion...

this is informative to many

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
My zumo power cord has an inline fuse holder that I wired into my accessory plug in the headlight bucket. Pretty simple and no extra parts to buy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wired my 12 volt receptacle directly to the battery (did not use the frame as ground). I put on the "cigarette" receptacle for my GPS as well.

I used a 7.5 amp in-line fuse.

If I hooked up a battery charger to the male portion that fits in the receptacle, can you charge the battery this way?

By the way, I soldered all my connections and used the shrink wrap connections to protect the wires. I got into the process so much that I neglected to see where I laid my soldering iron. When I went to stand up I placed my palm on the soldering iron.

The smell of burning flesh is NOT a pleasant aroma.:madd:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mounting Bracket

Here is a pic of how I mounted my 12V receptacle. I bought some aluminum stock at Lowe's and just used plastic wire ties to hold it on there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Bigs! Looks like you've made some great progress here. Your setup should work just fine. On my electrical I have a ground that I took off the battery using a #8 wire (thick), and have all my accessories grounded on that by the frame. But, before I put that in, I had grounds on things like the coil mount bolt to the frame or the ECM bolt, and things like that, and never had a problem.

Your GPS is designed to run off 12-Volt power, but the power cord does step the power down to 5-volts. I believe the 12-volt plug includes an internal fuse. Still a really good idea to use the in-line fuse on you accessory port power supply. Keep in mind, you can use that port to power anything you want, and I have even run a splitter to power an additional accessory like a radar detector.

Good work! Keep in touch on how the test ride goes. That GPS can make getting lost a lot more fun.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all! Going to do my wiring this weekend. Just going to run the negative from the 12V female adapter straight to negative battery post I think. Unless I find something close by when I start out. Haven't looked yet. Sure there is something up front, but if not, to the battery should not be a problem? I will just bundle everything together with wire loom since it is going in that direction anyway.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
A 10 amp fuse might not blow quick enough to protect your GPS, I use a 1.5 amp fuse in mine, I also carry with me an assortment of fuses up to 30 amp in case I need to use the circuit for some other use such as running my air compressor if I have a flat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts