Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just now looking into a GPS, and one of the must have's is the ability to download GPX files made by others. I have yet to find one that my browser's find function will locate the letters GPX together.

Is it one of those unspoken assumptions that any gps unit now will be able to download GPX files provided by others, or is the ability to download a GPX file one of the new things that only the high end units have?

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
If, by rare chance, a unit doesn't accept .gpx files, there's almost certainly a free utility that will convert to a common proprietary format.

Go with one of the top four names and don't worry about it. As long as your unit has PC connection capability, you should be good. Only the Wal-mart cheapos won't have that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I download gpx files off Pashnit into Garmin Mapsource and am able to use the route files in a Nuvi 765T with no problem. I recently completed a tour with complex routing put together on mapsource and ported to the GPS unit. I prefer to work with the same map set (North America 2010.30) in putting together a route, than trying to use Google Maps or some other online source, because I now the routing, POIs and waypoints will work the same way in the GPS. The track from any trip can be downloaded and reviewed to see the elevation profiles, speeds for any segment and lots of other time-consuming useless information that seems fun on a cold wet day like today.

Anyway, with MapSource you can use the native gdb files (gamin database) or export and import gpx files for sharing, and view it on Google Earth or other compatible software.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Garmin, Magellan and TomTom are the names I'd stick to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garmin, Magellan and TomTom are the names I'd stick to.
Those are the 3 I've been considering. With a major road trip coming up in July (....3 weeks out to Billings, MT & back), I find myself once again thinking about getting a GPS. I've thought about it from time to time in the past; but always talk myself out of it as an unnecessary cost (...especially the MC-specific ones that run $600-800 or more!), that they can send you in the wrong direction or really out of your way if you're not paying attention (...been there, done that with others' who were leading a ride via a GPS), and because I *still* like looking at a map to sort out route options. I really DO love scoping out routes in advance and at least having a clue when I go to unfamiliar places; but once in a while plans change, or I can imagine road construction or a traffic accident gumming up the works, or trying to figure out a place that might have a gas station, or (God forbid) some kind of medical emergency, or whatever - I can see where a GPS could come in handy.

That being said, I'm looking for input on what you may have, what you'd recommend, or even stuff to stay away from. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I reviewed the Garmin 765T here. This GPS gives you more for your money at this time than anything else on the market. Complex routes, upload and downloads from your computer, dual bluetooth channels, traffic, and a very visible screen. I am a ride captain for our riding group and use this all the time to plot destinations, loops, and even take deviations from planned routes.

·
Super Moderator
12,237 Posts
Is it one of those unspoken assumptions that any gps unit now will be able to download GPX files provided by others, or is the ability to download a GPX file one of the new things that only the high end units have?

No. Except for the conversion process mentioned.......GPX files are a Garmin creation and I'm pretty sure those are the only units that handle them.....in their native format.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts