Motorcycle Forum banner

Greetings, and a simple Question...Break-in time

7K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  300winmag 
#1 ·
Hello everybody I´m new in the forum and also a future M50 owner I just need to pick it up from the dealer in a few days. It´s a brand New 2009 M50 SE Orange-Black...

This babe it´s my dream come true, since this model comes out in 2005 I get in love, it was love at first sight, and I´m very anxious to get it onand ride & ride & ride....

I have a question for all of you my new best friends,

Do I have to wait to complete the break-in process before changing the pipes, or I can put it on from the very first ride?

#3 ·
If the bike is under any warranty, it may be voided by the exhaust swap.

The break-in period on engines is usually to ensure rings and valves get seated properly. Depending on the exhaust diameter/design, you could lose backpressure (causing the engine to run lean). But all of this is hypothetical and can vary greatly based on situation.

Personally, i would break in (keep the revs down) all stock and put the exhaust in when you have a proper fuel controller (e.g. Power Commander) and maybe a new intake ;-P and do the whole thing at once (exhaust, intake, fuel remap).

#4 ·
To add to above.. If this is your first bike ever, waiting the break in period may be wise since odds are you WILL drop your bike. Many do, I did. That way if you drop it on exhaust side and bang it all up no big deal since you are going to change pipes anyway. Also, I would take the break in period to learn the bike and how she rides before worrying about changing your pipes.

#6 ·
Easy. Can you please tone down the pipe rhetoric in every thread where the rider merely suggests he would like to debaffle or change pipes? Your thoughts and opinions on modifying anything on a bike are well documented here, and we appreciate them. However, sometimes, grown men do not like to be talked at like they are idiots for merely suggesting they'd like to do something you don't appreciate, or can't get your head around.

Granted you are entitled to your opinion, and we do issue a soapbox free with every membership. That soapbox, in case you've lost yours, is located within' the "Start New Thread" button. I'd love to see a dissertation on the subject by you, rather than taking a crap in everyone's threads. Make a good enough dissertation, and we'll make it a Sticky.

In this case, the OP merely asked if he should change them before the break-in period is up. Have an opinion on that? We'd be glad to hear it.

#8 · (Edited)
Can you please tone down the pipe rhetoric in every thread where the rider merely suggests he would like to debaffle or change pipes?
No, sorry.

I pass over a LOT of opportunities to make snide remarks about loud pipes.......but I will not pass over them all.

I feel very strongly about the subject, not to mention that it is illegal in all of the US.

I am really sorry that you find my opinion objectionable, just as I find loud pipes objectionable.

What better time to express my opinion than when a new rider suggests getting louder pipes ???

Do I hear an implied threat in your post ??

P.S. At the end, I did answer his question. Maybe you should read the WHOLE post.

#7 ·
hey yuppie, go ride a freaking moped,
loud pipes save lives. go walk onto a bar packed with bikers and run your mouth, video tape it so I can see u get ur ares kicked.

back to topic, congrats, Ive got the same exact bike as you and got 2400 miles on her this year. other then bluing your safe, but beware our year 09 is a hated year. very limited on stuff that's come out for us ( no k&n , limited exhaust ) . it sucks. but orange rocks! and don't mind the haters, as long as ur not stupid you wont dump it. I've got 30,000 miles + and haven't dumped it. im sure I will, but %%%%% happens.
and get a new seat, the stockers suck, stay away from gel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#13 ·
easy rider, your a troll. go troll somewhere else. it's not illegal. and you call yourself easy rider? hmm if I remember right they had LOUD PIPES in that movie. yuppie.
. i wouldnt call him a troll. he just really doesnt like loud pipes. personally i dont like them much either. deep yes, loud not so much.

drilling and debaffling is illegal. some after market pipes exceed noise regluations ( particularly where i live in Cali).

im on the fence on the loud pipes save lives. while i would prefer a deeper sound from the motor i dont nessisarily want louder pipes. i know my neighbors w/ young kids prefer my bike being quieter. there are some bikes that are far too quiet, BMW Touring bikes. there are some bikes that are far too loud ( if i can hear it in my living room over the races in surround sound from several streets over). from my experience, soccer moms in suv's w/ kids in the back are just as likely to ignore a loud bike.

as far as the original topic goes.
Personally, i would break in (keep the revs down) all stock and put the exhaust in when you have a proper fuel controller (e.g. Power Commander) and maybe a new intake ;-P and do the whole thing at once (exhaust, intake, fuel remap).
i agree

#16 ·
Wow i think i will keep my opinion to myself
Your call but that's exactly what the bullys want.

Everybody here is free to express their opinion............as long as it agrees with THEM.

Otherwise your are a troll or worse.

Must be uncomfortable to be so insecure in your position that a little expression of an opposing view makes you fly into personal attacks.
Sad.

#15 · (Edited)
*sigh* ya know the guy asked a simple question. I dont recall him asking for a sermon

Attachments

#18 ·
thanks to everybody for your opinions....

I think I´ll wait to complete the break-in process to don´t void the warranty...

Like a lot of you guys I´m agree with the fact that loud pipes safe lives. & The great sound that can produce it has no words to explain...

I respect EASY´s opinion "Loud pipes risk rights" but it´s his own opinion... And it depends in how loud the pipes are.

I prefer to safe lifes than risk rights.

Thanks again and I´m happy to be part of this family and way of life

#28 ·
lol easy, this ain't a fake account. this is my real account. I still wanna see these rights you risk with " loud pipes"

but first things first, what's loud?

any pipe for a 800 cc Suzuki wont be loud
now a harley 883 with shotgun pipes, that's loud.

Ive owned 8 bikes, 2 being harleys ( 72,79 ironheads) and I even got a ticket for " loud pipes" but guess what, they were bone stock. so the ticket was thrown out. we're they loud, yes, too loud, not even close.

and im being honest, I wanna see u " express your opinion " to a bunch of harley owners. lol yuppie troll

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#33 ·
and im being honest, I wanna see u " express your opinion " to a bunch of harley owners. lol yuppie troll
Well, there you go. Name calling really helps get things in their proper perspective.

I quite assure you that I am neither a "yuppie" nor a "troll".

I am a grouchy, retired old fart.
And I don't post anything here just to see what kind of a reaction it will stir up.

But thanks for the intelligent insight into the matter.

#40 · (Edited)
..... I've heard good sounding bikes with aftermarkets and i've heard monstrosities. Not my bike, not my hearing, go for it.
:bluethum:

Perhaps we could all learn to stay out of everybody else's bike? :whistle:

Much as the question of free speech is debated the final verdict comes down to "What point is there to legaly defined freedom if we cannot be personaly free to enjoy it?" For example; behind the Zion Curtain known as Utah there are plenty of things / activities that are technically not illigal but so culturally demonized that no one seems to have the right to enjoy it w/o persicution. eg. Being outside late at night and young looking (mid twenties and younger) will get you into an uncomfortable (read accusitory) conversation and background check by roving police officers in many counties. Funny, and I thought that was called a constitutional for a reason...

FWIW in the original post, the question was not raised about modding pipes but rather installing pipes... Pipes that surely were EPA approved in order to be sold off the shelf. So for all this hubbub why demonize someone for wanting something different than stock if they are not trying to be the loudest thing on two wheels? Are we not free to buy aftermarket for fear of legislation that kills the aftermarket? ....Don't say or do anything offensive for fear of loosing the right to say or do just that. Isn't that what the right is??

Honestly the look af many aftermarket pipes can be even more of an asthetic improvement than the sound. Just sayin'.

To all the new owners. Congrats! Welcome to the fray!

NMc

#31 ·
Take your Time

Con Grats on the 2009 Special ED, orange and black. I have the same bike. I did wait until the warranty was off and them put on Vance & Hines pipes which sound great, I have not had any problems with the bike. There are alot of ideas on this site, I like reading them all and then making my own decision on what I like and don't like. Take a look at the pics of everyone's cycle and you can get some ideas.

Attachments

#36 ·
I'm also new to the forum, and new very happy owner of a 2011 M50 (first bike).

My two cents: Just as the original poster later agreed to, wait till after the break in period before messing with pipes and the like.

Second, I agree with Easy, loud is unnecessary, and I don't follow the logic on how loud saves lives? Since the sound is being pushed out behind you.. and the moron in the cage drinking his/her coffee, talking on the cell, putting on make-up and not doing the only thing he/she should be doing which is paying attention to driving is just as likely not to notice you with or without loud pipes. Now a good loud horn... that will save your life. IMO.

Easy, Even though I'm Canadian (different laws), I would love to see you start a thread on the pro vs cons of pipes.

#38 ·
AGREED

also, when it comes to loud pipes save lives, were not talking about just cagers, I include that idiot waiting to bolt across the street or the bicyclist that doesn't stop for intersections.

Congrats on that 2011, how is it, they look much more...ummm like a m109.

#39 ·
Yeah the 2011 is a baby M109, personally I like the look, plus add the fact that the local dealer was selling them for $6500 (cdn) vrs the regular MSRP of 9500, I went from looking at buying used to buying brand new as soon as i walked into the dealership. 3 grand is a lot of personalization and with all the idea I'm getting from this forum... she's gonna spend fast.

#43 ·
Ha! Yeah and a glass "tobacco" pipe only becomes paraphernalia once it leaves the store.... So what about all those factory pipes that exceed disturbing the peace laws? Such as those equiped on the Denver PD's HDs? Hell they seem to have it backward where they have a law that specificaly says no systems may employ cut outs when National Cycle, Inc. | Online Catalog | Peacemakers Exhausts are engineered to be very quiet when the rider closes the baffle so as not to offend the neighbors. So in one fell swoop of an uneducated pen a city ordinance has banned a product designed to create the same effect. :fight2:

My handle on the situation is that the law makers have no handle on the situation. That there are many counter productive laws and that they have no reasonable way to enforce them. What's more they threaten the very existance of ALL aftermarket manufactures reguardless of if they were engineered to be loud or quiet. (I'm sure unemploying all those indeviduals will do wonders for our economy :banghead: ) And the idea of testing every system on every make and model is terribly cost prohibitave.

I'm pretty sure a stock Suzuki 650 Savage when fully wrapped out can exceed 80 db and that may be necesary just to hit freeway speeds going up an on ramp.

So what's the magic answer?
NMc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.