Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding from Daytona to Orlando our group of 7 had a self appointed leader who decided we were going to try to "beat" an incoming storm while we were on I-95. What I can tell you is that I was doing 85 mph in a 70 mph zone and they were simply pulling away. It was not that I could not have made the speed to catch them, it was simply not safe.

My problem (which leads to my question) is that as they started pulling away, the only person in the group that I really know and call a friend, blows past me and joins the group basically leaving me to ride alone.

Your list does mention you never pass without stopping at a rest stop but my bigger question, and maybe it is so obvious that it was not on your list, is what is the etiquette about simply leaving someone behind that does not want to exceed the posted speed limit?

To say the friendship has been strained would be an understatement. I was told "They really wanted to beat the storm" and "We can't slow down or we will get hit by other vehicles. You have to go that fast on that road." Funny that I managed to make it but they would have been run down. I heard excuses but never heard anything that resembles an apology. My friend has only had his motorcycle for a short time, and I know he wanted to keep up with his buddies, but the fact that he sees nothing wrong in what he and the others did is really making me question his judgement.

I just wanted to hear from someone with experience that is outside the group, and was wondering if there is anything posted that says what most people already know. If you leave with 7 you return with 7.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
In my one group ride experience with covering long distances, we never split up in the fashion that you described. Yeah sometimes distance was created but generally it was into two groups of 2. Not one person being left in the dust. I generally understand group riding as no one gets left behind. That's not the point of a group ride. But if i'm correct please feel to correct me.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
When we were on our trip last month, we stopped for fuel, and it was getting late, and deer are a real problem at night in the hill country. We had about 40 more miles to get back before dark. The leader asked who wants to up the speed to make it before dark? We took a vote, and some went on, some stayed behind. My wife, me, and a couple others stayed behind. The others went on and ran 80-95 mph. We figured we had a better chance of riding slower and avoiding a deer easier than trying to avoid one at 90 mph, even tho more deer would be out late in the day. We appointed the Gold Wing rider as leader. His bike had the best lighting, and we had no trouble coming back.

As far as just running off from some of the group, that is wrong. Take a vote.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
While riding from Daytona to Orlando our group of 7 had a self appointed leader who decided we were going to try to "beat" an incoming storm while we were on I-95. What I can tell you is that I was doing 85 mph in a 70 mph zone and they were simply pulling away. It was not that I could not have made the speed to catch them, it was simply not safe.

My problem (which leads to my question) is that as they started pulling away, the only person in the group that I really know and call a friend, blows past me and joins the group basically leaving me to ride alone.

Your list does mention you never pass without stopping at a rest stop but my bigger question, and maybe it is so obvious that it was not on your list, is what is the etiquette about simply leaving someone behind that does not want to exceed the posted speed limit?

To say the friendship has been strained would be an understatement. I was told "They really wanted to beat the storm" and "We can't slow down or we will get hit by other vehicles. You have to go that fast on that road." Funny that I managed to make it but they would have been run down. I heard excuses but never heard anything that resembles an apology. My friend has only had his motorcycle for a short time, and I know he wanted to keep up with his buddies, but the fact that he sees nothing wrong in what he and the others did is really making me question his judgement.

I just wanted to hear from someone with experience that is outside the group, and was wondering if there is anything posted that says what most people already know. If you leave with 7 you return with 7.
I'd getcha some new friends........Ones that share the same notions as you do.

Ride at the pace you feel comfortable....

Never ride over your head, or what the surroundings and conditions dictate. And.....the obvious, stay within' the legal limits......Things happen differently at 80+ (indicated).

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Well you haven't filled out your profile, so I know nothing about you or your bike, but from the sound of your post, I would guess that you haven't been riding motorcycles all that long.

With that in mind, I'm thinking that you may not be aware that a lot of the speedometers on todays bikes read about 10% faster than your true speed, so at an indicated 85mph, it's quite possible that your true speed was closer to 76mph, still speeding yes, but as was pointed out to you, it's safer to travel at the speed the traffic is moving.

Also if your a newer rider your term "group" as in group ride might mean something different to you than it does to other member of the group that may have been riding together for a longer peroid of time, it's quite possible that speed limits have been descussed in the past and everyone else was OK with the lead bikes decision to pick up the pace.

Usually when I ride with a group, it's a group of like minded riders, and if someone new comes along we will "try" and inform them of our route & riding style, and if they want to go either faster or slower we will just meet up with them at the next stop, but that isn't always possible & sometimes like in your case someone gets there feelings hurt, when that happens I apologize to them and suggest they find a group to ride with that fits there style better.

Bottom line is everyone needs to ride there own bike in a maner that they feel is safe for the conditions at hand.

Try looking at it like this, you wanting everyone else to slow down to your comfort level is every bit as inconsiderate as you think they were expecting you to speed up. As I said ride your own bike, don't worry about what everyone else is doing, your only responsible for yourself.

Now keep, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you gave us very little information to go on, and I'm basing my statement on what little you did say.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Try looking at it like this, you wanting everyone else to slow down to your comfort level is every bit as inconsiderate as you think they were expecting you to speed up.
That's not what he said at all.

He didn't expect the whole group to conform to his comfort level; he just expected that at least ONE would have a little compassion for him and not leave him alone.

I think that's a very reasonable thing to expect. Sounds like 6 inconsiderate a-holes to me, especially the so-called leader who should have considered the situation a bit more if EVERYONE did not immediately agree. That assumes that the OP spoke up at the appropriate time. Did you ??

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That's not what he said at all.

He didn't expect the whole group to conform to his comfort level; he just expected that at least ONE would have a little compassion for him and not leave him alone.

I think that's a very reasonable thing to expect. Sounds like 6 inconsiderate a-holes to me, especially the so-called leader who should have considered the situation a bit more if EVERYONE did not immediately agree. That assumes that the OP spoke up at the appropriate time. Did you ??
He asked for opinions, and I gave him mine, that is afterall the topic of this post. If it's another argument with me your looking for maybe a PM would be more in order than the open forum.

·
May 2007 Member of the month
7,992 Posts
Well let me throw my two cents worth in.

Here is the experience I am speaking from.
1. Qualified and appointed Road Captain.
2. VP of my riding club.
3. Safety Conscious rider.
4. A human being with some common sense.

That being said. As a Road Captain you not only have an obligation to ride safe for yourself but to ride safe for the sake of EVERY single person in the group. You are setting the pace for the whole group. You are the one they are looking to for guidance while on the ride.

There are times where I will pull ahead of the group to get a better feel of the road ahead and to help point out stuff to the rest. But I also note that if the group starts getting spaced too far apart or large gaps are forming then I will back the pace off to allow the others time to catch up.

I also will set the standard for the ride and make sure that everyone is comfortable with riding certain speeds. If I encounter a situation where we have to increase the speeds I will keep an eye out for everyone to ensure they are able to maintain that speed.

I generally do not speed at high rates of speed with a group in tow. Maybe 5 or 10 over at lower speeds around 45 zones but at interstate speeds where the speed limit is already 65 to 70 mph there is no need.

I do not ride faster than the slowest rider. That is our motto in the riding club I am in. Generally before a rider is allowed to join a group the riding group will feel them out with their comfort level and riding ability. If a rider is not comfortable riding in certain situations then maybe it is not the time for them to join. We will generally tell them to get some more experience under their belt and come back when they are alot more comfortable with their abilities.

Sounds harsh but you don't want someone who does not feel comfortable riding at speeds of 55 riding in a group that might ride at 65-70.

But I would pose this question to that group and to stcloudball. Were you all riding happily along and able to keep together prior to the "Oncoming Rainstorm" event? If so then their logic is flawed. Let's outrun a storm. Yeah whatever.

Maybe that group should think more about packing the proper gear such as rainsuits instead of pushing their luck.

I have been in those situations before where I had to decide to either drop out or chew some arse at the next stop. But in this situation the group was wrong. The group leader was definitely wrong. Your friend was wrong.

Ride at your pace and look for another group to ride with that rides similar to your riding style.

I can tell you this. The state troopers would absolutely love to snag a whole group of bikers excessively speeding. Not just the ride leader will get the ticket but he gets to write a whole slew of them with just one stop.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
Excellent post Sean.

Might I add, I may have never said this before, but I certainly respect your ability, (and those of others who Captain rides), to direct a ride.

The most I had stewarded up to the time in Daytona, had been maybe six. Of course, you only ride to the ability of the slowest rider. It's just common sense. I'm with you Sean on the part of "Let's outrun the storm." If that was the case.......

But yeah.....when you made me lead that Saturday, I was nervous as hell. Just for that simple fact, of keeping the group in tact. Especially, in a strange place, and I'm the only one that knows where he's going. Take that factor away though, and if someone gets separated from the group, and then has a mechanical breakdown....it can become very problematic.

Again. Very well written post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was no discussion. We hit the road and they hit the gas. A world of difference from the speed we were traveling on the way to Daytona. I have about 18 months of riding experience, but I would not travel faster than that either way. It is not safe, necessary or legal.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I am not looking to stir up trouble. Are you?
Expressing a differing opinion is not necessarily an arguement.
No sir, not looking for an argument at all, and I am interested in your answer to the OP, it's just that your last post seemed to be an answer to my opinion, not an answer to the OP.

And for what it's worth, I think "STP's" answer was better than mine, espically where it concerns an organized group with a tail gunner. My impression may be wrong, but I got the feeling that the OP was talking about a very loosely organized bunch that just had the same destination in mind maybe I shouldn't try and read between the lines but he really didn't give us much to go on.

The one thing we all seem to agree on is if the group is riding outside your comfort level, you should find other people to ride with.

To the OP, it's not somethng I would ditch a friendship over, maybe just have a talk with him about future rides.:shm:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.