Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with my 05 Suzuki GS 500f not starting without me clutch starting it. This issue started after I tightened the chain. For a few weeks before this, I'd had trouble starting but I could eventually get the bike to start just my turning the handle bars for a while and continuing to press the start button. Now, there is literally nothing. I figured it was the starter relay so I got a new one, but it didn't work at all. The power didn't even work so I put the old one back on. Now I can clutch start it but does anyone have any ideas about what it could be? It is possible that the carbs are so clogged that it cases clutch starting to be the only way it starts? I ask this because I used to not have to turn on the choke to start the bike but after a while it became a requirement. Also, when I get the bike started, it seems to take a lot longer before I can turn the choke off.

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
Now, there is literally nothing.

Also, when I get the bike started, it seems to take a lot longer before I can turn the choke off.
A problem with the carbs will NOT prevent the power from working and turning on the headlight or running the starter.
If the power is dead, you have a battery problem of some kind.

If the power seems good but the start button does nothing, then you have a start button problem OR one of the safeties has failed.....like the sidestand switch or clutch or neutral switch.
Is this one of the models that requires you to BOTH have it in Neutral AND have the clutch pulled in to start with the starter ??

Then......it sounds like you need a healthy dose of a good carb cleaner in the gas.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout are good. SeaFoam is not really good and is WAY overpriced.

And finally.....part of the choke problem could be due to air filter mods.
Do you have a stock air filter on it and is it tightly in place ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of the models that requires both the clutch to be pulled in and in neutral. Also, my neutral light stopped working when this issue started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A problem with the carbs will NOT prevent the power from working and turning on the headlight or running the starter.
If the power is dead, you have a battery problem of some kind.

If the power seems good but the start button does nothing, then you have a start button problem OR one of the safeties has failed.....like the sidestand switch or clutch or neutral switch.
Is this one of the models that requires you to BOTH have it in Neutral AND have the clutch pulled in to start with the starter ??

Then......it sounds like you need a healthy dose of a good carb cleaner in the gas.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout are good. SeaFoam is not really good and is WAY overpriced.

And finally.....part of the choke problem could be due to air filter mods.
Do you have a stock air filter on it and is it tightly in place ??

This is one of the models that requires both the clutch to be pulled in and in neutral. Also, my neutral light stopped working when this issue started.

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
So.....I think you are overlooking the obvious.

It probably is NOT just the light that stopped working but the neutral switch itself......and the light is properly reporting that.

There should be a fairly easy way to "bypass" that switch for testing purposes. Usually that involves finding the cable that connects to the switch, unplugging it and shorting the wires together (or plugging the cable back in if it has become loose).

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I would also suspect a problem with the harness where it passes the steering stem or one or more cables that get moved when you turn the bars since this was the earlier problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So.....I think you are overlooking the obvious.

It probably is NOT just the light that stopped working but the neutral switch itself......and the light is properly reporting that.

There should be a fairly easy way to "bypass" that switch for testing purposes. Usually that involves finding the cable that connects to the switch, unplugging it and shorting the wires together (or plugging the cable back in if it has become loose).

I forgot to reply to this. You were right, the clutch switch had somehow come unplugged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts