Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first bike a week ago (yay!). It's in pretty solid condition, but I do have some clutch-related issues with it. If the bike is in gear, and the clutch lever is all the way in, the bike still pulls forward slightly. This is regardless of if it was just started or if it has been ridden for over an hour. The second issue is that, when the bike is turned on, it is impossible to shift into neutral when standing still. If it is in first gear and at a standstill it simply will not shift into neutral or into second, regardless of how much upforce I apply to the shift-lever to try and do so. It shifts into neutral/upshifts fine if it's going >10mph though. I tried adjusting the clutch-cable at the clutch-lever's adjustment point, but now it is slipping out of first/second gear into neutral (didn't happen before). I know there are two other clutch adjustment points on the bike, but I cannot for the life of me find any information online as to where they would be. Does this sound like just a bike in need of a clutch-cable adjustment, or something else? (Again, it's my first bike so I almost know nothing about them mechanics-wise. Sorry)

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Others may be more familiar with that model but it's often hard to give good advice without being there.

The clutch cable MUST have a tiny bit of slack in it when you are not pulling the lever.

Aftermarket grips (fat) sometimes makes it hard or impossible to pull the clutch in far enough.

Some models will still pull slightly with the clutch fully disengaged but it should be very slight.

I think it is very likely that it's a simple adjustment.......and maybe in need of an oil change too.

A quick visit to a shop might be a good idea. Then at least you will KNOW.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
My M50 will move forward just a tad when I first crank it. I've been told that is normal. Don't remember it doing it after it has been running. I'll have to pay attention to
that next time I ride it. When I am stopping I shift down to first or neutral If in first and sitting still it shifts in to neutral with ease. If I forget to put it in neutral before I turn it off It can be difficult. But if I do that I just start it and bump it forward and then it shifts into neutral ok. :bluethum:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts