Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently my 1982 Suzuki GS750 has been leaking oil. Now it has been a lot more than should be coming out. I parked up empty on oil and looked around for where it could be coming from. The oil was spraying everywhere when I rode my bike so I was thinking maybe the transmission is leaking? but then I found these tubes not connected but next to each other. One connects to the carb and the other I am not sure what it is. Please help. I am no mechanic but do not want to bring this in. I would rather learn how to fix a simple bike like this.

Here are some photos to help the description.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,541 Posts
While I admire your ambition and desire to learn basic maintenance on your bike.......
THIS probably is not the place to start.

Having all the oil blow out of the engine, probably via a vent tube in this case, likely means a MAJOR engine problem that you won't be able to fix.
A cracked piston, broken rings, a blown head gasket or a cracked block come to mind first.

What is probably happening is one (or more) cylinders is firing into the crankcase. That cylinder would have little or no compression.

I hope I'm wrong but I think you need to haul it to an independent shop for some simple tests.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I would be finding out where the pipes go to....one to the carb is very likely the float bowl breather tube. The other is possibly a crankcase vent. These bikes are very simple...had a 79 for ages you may be looking at a blown gasket, there should be a crankcase breather on top of the cases just behind the cylinders it has a chromed domed cover....having said that it will still need the top end pulling down.

Are you sure the oil is coming from both tubes?...not just the breather?? and is it certain that it is actually coming from the tube/s and not just running down the outside of one or both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts