Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I'm wondering if you can help me out. i found this bike on craigslist:

LESS THEN 1,000 MILES - 2003 BANDIT 600 GSF

It's seems to be a very good deal... The owner told me he hadn't ridden on it because his fiance and family are against him riding. It's been standing for over a year.

Currently needs full tune up + battery. He said I can give him a deposit and he will take it to the shop and do the tune up. He said he's been down once on the gravel, but he was almost standing still when he laid the bike. It was more of a slippage when he tried to ride away after standing. Only handlebar is scratched and the tip of rear brake pedal is broken off.

I also asked him how he broke it in. he said he rode it like he would ride it if it were already broken in.

To make a long story short, do you guys think it's a good deal? For around $2500 he will give me a full tuned up bike... Can I go wrong with the price? What should I look out for when I go check it out tomorrow?

Sorry, one last question. I am looking for a bike that has a more upright riding position and the owner told me that it's not a crotch rocket and it's more upright, not like a cruiser but like a standard bike

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
754 Posts
First off, if it has been setting for a year, the carbs will most likely need to be gone through. I would replace the broken brake pedal. Then I would look at what the high and low book are on Kelly Blue Book.

$2500.00 for a 03 Bandit 600, that only has 700 miles? Seems like it should have more and sounds like it has been setting to much. If you have a freind that really knows bikes, try and take that friend with you.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome. It does sound like a good deal, especially with the tuneup thrown in. You'll have to agree on some standards for the final state of tune before you pay up, though. You don't want to get stuffed with a bike that runs crappy.

It is much more comfortable than a sportbike, but I wonder why you haven't sat on one yet. Any Suzuki dealer should have a Bandit in stock. Go sit on one for ten minutes and decide for yourself. In any case, I don't think I've ever heard of a Bandit rider complaining about comfort except for touring, where handlebar risers and a better seat can help.

Check the tires. They're probably getting hard and dry. I'd plan on replacing them soon. I'd also flush the brakes before long. You'll want fresh fluid to clear any water present. Otherwise, that bike is pretty tough and there isn't much I'd be concerned about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys. I'll keep all this in mind when I go there. I was sort of afraid that there might be something wrong with the engine... but it may just be irrational fear. Why would anything be wrong with it? Unless he was riding so hard in the breaking in period that he killed it.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
That's almost impossible without trying. Mostly, try to determine that the proper oil level was maintained. Change it as soon as you have the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is the owner told me there is no battery now, so I can't test ride or hear it until he does the tune-up... I think he want the buyer to pay deposit and he will use that deposit to do the tune up...

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I'm not sure you'd want to. Bikes that have sat for a year often barely run, if at all. Let him get it tuned up, then decide if you want it. I don't think I'd give much of a down payment, either. Maybe $50. He has the burden of proof when it comes to the condition of the bike. If he really wants to sell it, he'll get it running.

I don't know where you are, but a Bandit or SV650 or similar shouldn't be hard to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Peaches. I'm in NYC.. Yes, there should be a few bikes here. This seemed like a good combination of price/year/mileage. etc

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bandit Ad said:
...needs to be tuned up for summer to run...
This plus the fact that there is no actual pic of the bike worries me. If its close, go take a look but make sure you bring someone who knows about bikes. 700 miles on a 5 year old bike is way too low. Check for signs of being wrecked.

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
It's not too far actually, but I don't know anyone who knows bikes very well :(
OK, so back to basics:

What happens if you give him a deposit, he uses that money to get a battery, "tune up", etc. and the bike doesn't run (right). Then what?

At that point, you should walk (run) away and get your money back.
GET IT IN WRITING THAT YOU CAN REFUSE TO COMPLETE THE SALE IF THE BIKE IS NOT RUNNING PERFECTLY AND YOU GET A FULL REFUND.
THEN STICK TO IT.
Or better yet, give him your phone number and "Call me when you get it running."

Do NOT puss out and think, "It's such a good deal, I'm sure it can be fixed and still will be a good value." That might not be true at all; it might be a HUGE pain in the backside.

LOTS of people have been here. Some turned out happy but a LOT didn't.

You should never buy a bike with known problems. The seller should fix it first. Exception: You are an experienced mechanic and know what your getting into.

Be careful; be VERY careful. Some deals like this are scams but most are just stupidity on the part of the seller.........and the buyer. :shock: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easy Rider, thanks for the sound advice. You're right, I am one of those impulsive buyers that don't think ahead :)) I will try to be very pragmatic and think logical. Even though the deal "seems" to be very luring... Almost brand new bike for a good price... I will try not to get myself worked up.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I test rode a SV650S yesterday at a dealership - it stalled 3 times before I got it out of the parking lot - every time I pulled the clutch in it died.
It then stalled another dozen times riding a mile or so up the road.
I turned it around and was headed back to the dealership and it stopped stalling, so I continued the test ride for another 15 miles and it was fine from then on.
I think it had been sitting so long so took a while for old fuel to work it's way through.
Really important to ride the bike for long enough to give you a good impression of handling, reliability, riding position etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You should never buy a bike with known problems. The seller should fix it first. Exception: You are an experienced mechanic and know what your getting into.
:plus1: Wait for the seller to get it fixed (I would NOT give him any money to do so) or find another bike that has been taken care of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts