Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a gsr750 abs 2012 with a weird issue. The bike struggles to start on a cold start, when it turns over I will give it throttle and it revs up but it doesn't fire up. However I can pull away if I rev it up. Now for the first couple minutes when the bike is still cold it will cut out every time I pull the clutch it and kick back in when the clutch is back out? Anyone with a similar issue can help me out? I've been stuck with it for weeks not even local garages can help me

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
The clutch is NOT the key to this problem like you seem to think it is.

The engine simply is not running good at low speed but the forward momentum of the bike keeps it going until you disconnect the engine from the back wheel by opening the clutch. Then the engine dies when it goes down to idle.

Do you have carbs or is it fuel injected ?

Either way, I would start with a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas and run it a bit.
And if there is an idle adjustment screw, check to be sure that hasn't fallen out.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
You may want to check the clutch safety switch it could be shorting out when you pull the lever. The poor running is likely another issue that Er mentioned....leave the cleaner in for as long as possible...sounds like the idle passages are clogged up if carbs or fuel pump delivery/ fuel pressure sensor if EFI.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clutch is NOT the key to this problem like you seem to think it is.

The engine simply is not running good at low speed but the forward momentum of the bike keeps it going until you disconnect the engine from the back wheel by opening the clutch. Then the engine dies when it goes down to idle.

Do you have carbs or is it fuel injected ?

Either way, I would start with a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas and run it a bit.
And if there is an idle adjustment screw, check to be sure that hasn't fallen out.
It is fuel injected so I believe the idle speed isn't as easy as just setting the idle speed screw right?

I will order a bottle of the cleaner tonight and run it through, fingers crossed for some improvements

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want to check the clutch safety switch it could be shorting out when you pull the lever. The poor running is likely another issue that Er mentioned....leave the cleaner in for as long as possible...sounds like the idle passages are clogged up if carbs or fuel pump delivery/ fuel pressure sensor if EFI.

Good luck
When I manage to turn it on the bike idles at 900rpm and then cuts out, do you think that's too low?

Also I've been told that it might be something to do with the servo eliminator? The guy that had the bike before installed a aftermarket can and I don't believe he done anything with the servo

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
According to the GSXR forum 900 rpm is too low...should be around 1300. Apparently if you remove the airbox there is an adjustment underneath.

I just had a look online about the servo...seems there is a servo motor on the OEM exhaust and the eliminator allows an aftermarket exhaust to be fitted by eliminating the motor. I wonder... if this is not working maybe that is the problem could be why the idle is so low too. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the eliminator....see if it helps or solves the problem.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts