Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 GSXR 600 that I have never had any issues with. This morning I started it perfectly and went to go get coffee before going to work. When I went to turn the bike back on it wouldn't start and it sounded like it was the battery. I thought that is impossible i just put in a new battery. Now I believe it could 1 out of 2 things. 1. My bike has lights on the bottom. The switch may have been turned on. or 2. There is a faulty wire that is draining the battery.
So, no problem, I ran started it. When I got to work I left it on for ten minutes just to check if it is the battery. As I come outside my bike is spilling green liquid, which I am guessing is cooling fluent/antifreeze, and it is over heating. I immediately turn the bike off and it spits out more antifreeze everywhere!
What do you think could be the issue? Have you ever ran into this? And how much did it run you to fix it?

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
I would try to approach the problem logically.

1) If you recently replaced the battery, assume that there is a faulty connection somewhere. Go over the wiring near the battery and make sure that the contacts are good. If there is corrosion or anything like that, scrub them clean and reconnect them when you're sure that there will be a good connection.

2) Leaving the bike standing for 10 minutes with the engine running won't charge the battery, so all you're doing is wasting fuel. If you want to charge the battery (something that probably won't be necessary anyway if the battery is new), you need to take the bike on the road and ride at higher revs. Running the bike at idle speeds won't put much juice through the alternator. That said, the bike shouldn't overheat when standing for 10 minutes. Check the thermostat - that's usually what fails in most vehicles. It can get corroded and prevents the coolant from circulating like it should, causing the engine to overheat.

That's how I'd approach it... but I could be completely wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I was advised to let the bike run for the ten minutes then turn it off and try turning the bike back on. They said if the bike doesn't turn back on then it's a faulty wire. (it didn't make sense to me either)
The Mechanic who I sent my bike to this year is an old man. He is amazing at fixing cruisers he remodeled a '79 BMW and it runs like new. But I feel like he doesn't really know a lot about sport bikes especially about any "extras" on a bike. - Example: I have underlight on the bike and he messed up the wiring completly it won't even turn on. I started thinking maybe he left the switch on and clearly no one would know if it was on or off because the underlights don't go on. (if that made sense)
I am just hoping it isn't anything major.

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
It sounds to me like the battery was SO dead that there wasn't enough power left to run the radiator fan when it was needed.
Maybe the new battery is bad; maybe that's because the charging system is not working right.
Was the new battery externally charged before use ?
Was the charging voltage in the bike then checked too ?

Maybe you have two things going on that just happened at about the same time (stuck thermostat, for instance).

If you are going to chase this yourself, you need a small battery charger and a multi-meter.
Otherwise start shopping for a new mechanic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts