Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shifting on my '01 GZ250 is quite difficult plus it does not always disengage smoothly. The clutch cable seems to be adjusted correctly.

Am I looking at a clutch replacement? How difficult is that? I have some experience working on engines. (I just disassembled the carb on my Shadow 600 and cleaned out the jets and it even works better now). I do have the official shop manual for this 250 but in reading it it is the presumed the reader has more experience than I have. What special tool are required?

I figure this could be a good winter project. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Doug :scooter:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
While I have never done a clutch on a gz250, I have done dozens on other Japanese, British, and American bikes. It only takes about an hour or so, and if you are just changing the clutch plates, springs, and/ or throwout bearing you don't need any special tools.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gz250 clutch?

Thanks for the input.

I checked more carefully and find that the shifting is always difficult. This is really my major complaint. I also have a VTX600 and that shifts with a much easier action. There have been times when the 250 would not go into first unless I first let out the clutch in neutral and roll the bike 6 inches or a foot.

The other issue is not one of clutch slippage but rather one of a bit of a clunk - usually when first engaging mostly first gear but I have also heard it in other gears. Almost like something isn't firmly attached to it's shaft when it should be. It doesn't always happen - maybe one out of 10 times of releasing the clutch. The other 9 times the clutch engages very smoothly.

There is also bit of extra noise from the transmission. Sort of a constant chugging or grinding sound - even when sitting at idle in neutral.

I rode one of these models during the MSF last May and don't remember that GZ250 making these noises or behaving this way.

Any further thoughts?

Doug

:301:

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
I checked more carefully and find that the shifting is always difficult.

The other issue is not one of clutch slippage but rather one of a bit of a clunk -

There is also bit of extra noise from the transmission. Sort of a constant chugging or grinding sound - even when sitting at idle in neutral.
Sounds pretty much like mine:

Shifting is stiff and noisy. Sometimes hard to get into 1st.
Shift needs to be "firm"; a little tension pre-load is best.
Not sure about your observed transmission noise but that is probably normal too. Thumpers have a different sound; might be the counter-balancer too.

Double check that clutch cable adjustment just for good measure.
I found that the tranny is a little smoother and quieter with Mobil 1 Synthetic bike oil; any appropriate full synthetic would probably help a bit.

Might want to have a look here:
Suzuki GZ250 Forum Suzuki GZ 250 Home Page on GZ250Bikes.Com Index

:welcomes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and the link. lots of good comments over there too. I also noticed a reduction on transmission noise when I changed the to a better grade rated for use in motorcycles. I'll try the pure synthetic in the spring with a fresh filter. This sure is a fun 'round town little scooter. And just right for teaching a newbie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi
send me a email how many miles on the bike what I did on mine was to put a spring on the clutch cable at the engine side to take up the flooping of the clutch lever this will give you a better clutch adjustment & feel also use the suzuki 10w40 oil for the engine. All
the problems that everyone talks about the gz250 its not the problem its thinking for yourself. stick with one way of doing repairs & service get the factory shop book that think about what you are reading take it slow. dont try to short cut it trying to save a penny
can cost hunderes of $ & more when you get stuck on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts